Trying with T2

Onlinecaroline

I was diagnosed as T2 on Friday and had a Hba1c of 9.6 and fasting level of 11.2 and have been eating low carb since the beginning of the year. I’m waiting for a meter to arrive to begin testing.

My husband and I decided to start trying at the beginning of December - not seriously but not taking any precautions not too. When I told my Dr this he said we didn’t have to stop but to ring the surgery if we did conceive. However after reading I wonder if it’s irresponsible to continue when I’ve got this new diagnosis. I’m 33 and don’t really want to wait but I also do not want to harm any potential baby or myself. I don’t really know what I’m asking but just wondered if anyone had similar experiences

Reactions: Ofuma

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that your Hba1c, being 80 in the usual units, is a bit high - but the good news is that it could soon be lower.
I dropped from 91 to 47, no longer diabetic, in 80 days on low carb. My blood glucose levels were back to normal pretty quickly, so once you have your meter you should hopefully be reassured.
I ate low carb foods throughout my first pregnancy - though without restriction of the amount. Everything went very well indeed.

Reactions: Sad21+

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Onlinecaroline

Can’t speak from personal experience, but the reason I knew about low carb and diabetes was because a good friend of mine managed her gestational diabetes by using a very low carb diet.

I can’t see how eating a diet of fresh, natural foods (meat, eggs, cheese, fish, above ground veg, butter) will be harmful to anyone.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We were going to start trying just before I was diagnosed in September my hba1c was 76. I decided to wait to reduce my levels, as I wanted to lose some weight as well. After 9 weeks it came down to 45. It's been 6 weeks since that last blood test so think it will lower now (going on my blood test monitoring). So it might not take you long to reduce your levels abit.

I mentioned it to a doctor today and she is going to refer me to a preconception clinic not sure what happens there though.

Onlinecaroline

Thanks for all your replies. It’s reassuring to know that others have either been in this position or know someone who has. I think I will wait for my next blood test in a months time and fingers crossed, my hba1c is down a little and we can start properly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope that you will see that the low carb way of eating is a good one for you and that your next test will be reassuring for you - and that all goes to plan.

Hannushka

I was diagnosed in July - HbA1C of 48, so only just diabetic but still enough to scare me and give me a kick up the bum. I actually got my diagnosis because I was in touch with my GP about potential PCOS and my fiancée and I had been trying for another baby for several months and I wasn’t ovulating. Underwent a series of blood tests including HbA1C and progesterone series (weekly blood tests to check progesterone levels to track ovulation).

I tried low carb/keto and between August and the end of September I lost 12 kilos and finally got pregnant! (19 weeks on Saturday)

Like others, I can highly recommend low carb and the better your glycemic control is before pregnancy, the easier it’ll be to try and keep it under control during. You should be very well cared for during pregnancy so should have a lot of support to keep your blood sugar under control.
Hope everything goes well for you! :)

Reactions: Sad21+ and OB87

Sad21+

I think that your Hba1c, being 80 in the usual units, is a bit high - but the good news is that it could soon be lower.
I dropped from 91 to 47, no longer diabetic, in 80 days on low carb. My blood glucose levels were back to normal pretty quickly, so once you have your meter you should hopefully be reassured.
I ate low carb foods throughout my first pregnancy - though without restriction of the amount. Everything went very well indeed.
Sorry to interrupt or intrude. But that is absolutely brilliant. You should be so proud of yourself.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to interrupt or intrude. But that is absolutely brilliant. You should be so proud of yourself.
I can't be because I am simply doing what makes me feel well and gives me positive feedback, and in the long run, five gorgeous grandchildren.