And for afters this
IMG_1549.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg

jacko1970s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And for the the before we land snack a cheese roll and a banana with a bag of crisps

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I always order the normal meals, they are often less of a hassle sugar-wise.

D

Deleted member 308541

That is it! I might even work on a shark bite type impression to get the message across!!
The airlines give you a bag in the seat pocket to put leftover stuff in like that.

Singapore Airlines have the best long haul meals between London and Singapore that I have eaten, certainly beats QANTAS fare in economy on the same route.

D

Deleted Account

I have no clue what a "diabetic meal" is supposed to be and have never tried it.
My preference is Asian Vegetarian. This is often a curry where you can easily avoid the rice and chapati.
The normal vegetarian is usually pasta so avoided where possible.

Reactions: kev-w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why I fast when flying..

Edit to add Eatwell does say base meals around starchy carbs... and hey it's vegan so it must be ok!

Reactions: kitedoc

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few years ago I overheard a conversation on a Thomson's flight. A passenger was asking for some carbohydrate with her meal. The flight attendant apologised and said she'd thought the lady had ordered a diabetic meal. The passenger confirmed she had done so, but added that she was on insulin and required carbohydrate with her meal, or she would go hypo.

That just confirms that labels don't work, as all diabetics are different. I have always opted for a normal meal and carry carbs in my hand luggage, just in case. I haven't been on long flights since being diagnosed coeliac. Goodness knows how they'd deal with that! (I'm thinking more about gluten contamination here, though the last 4 Thomson meals I had consisted of sausage or sausage.)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wonder what people expect when they order a diabetic meal as most people and obviously the airlines do not know that a small percentage of diabetics eat low carb... and it is only a small percentage among all diabetics...so will not cater for that better just to have a normal meal

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently flew long haul BA to Mexico and back. Didn’t bother advising them I am diabetic as I knew the likelihood of a low carb meal was slim to none. The chicken main course came with rice, a tomato sauce and veg. I ate the chicken and veg. Salad starter. I ate the tiny cheese portion and two botts of the red wine!
The snack before landing was a sandwich...
Coming back I was prepared. Container of Mexican blue cheese, some very nice sausages in my hand luggage. The meal was utter **** so I ate the protein and dumped the rest. Bott of red wine.
The snack before landing was a sandwich...
Moral of the tale is carry my own nibbles, ask for leftover cheese.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My impression is that the diabetic meals are aimed at insulin users and they qualify as diabetic because they give the carbohydrate content to aid calculating the insulin dose.
Given that mainstream organisations like Diabetes UK are only just easing away from the emphasis on "healthy carbs" it must be very difficult for any catering organisation to know what is appropriate.
Now if they offered a "keto" option that would suit LCHF advocates and probably also find favour with non-diabetics.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I'm sure the airlines base these meals on the nutritional guidelines where they are based, and influenced by where the flight originates, so UK, will be NICE based.

I don't order diabetic meals, but gluten free is just about the same only even more vile bread and pasta. Of course, my assessment of GF bread or pasta being more vile than "usual" stuff is based on my taste (never, ever been a pasta fan and bread I could always take or leave), and anecdotal feedback from others on GF eating.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A few years ago I overheard a conversation on a Thomson's flight. A passenger was asking for some carbohydrate with her meal. The flight attendant apologised and said she'd thought the lady had ordered a diabetic meal. The passenger confirmed she had done so, but added that she was on insulin and required carbohydrate with her meal, or she would go hypo.

That just confirms that labels don't work, as all diabetics are different. I have always opted for a normal meal and carry carbs in my hand luggage, just in case. I haven't been on long flights since being diagnosed coeliac. Goodness knows how they'd deal with that! (I'm thinking more about gluten contamination here, though the last 4 Thomson meals I had consisted of sausage or sausage.)

Same here, having coeliac ( or an allergy containing milk, lactose, peanut, soya etc) can be a nightmare on top of everything else.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
https://wildabouttravel.boardingarea.com/2016/06/airline-meal-codes/

Read it and learn ... airlines are tied to catering companies but the point of departure dictates as not all caterers can meet identical standards, especially on expansive networks

IATA sets the codes, the airlines deviate by necessity based on local supply
I'm flabbergasted. So many choices and stil no low carb meal. And what the heck is a refugee meal? Have they started to get rid of their refugees by feeding them to plane passengers now in the USA?

Reactions: AloeSvea

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Always ask the airline reservations personnel and they will add an SSR (special service request) to the booking. Very few people do it when they could have avoided the issue