tummy ache

serankine

My daughter was diagnosed last november. She has just moved onto 4 injections aday. But since being diagnosed she is complaining of tummy ache and often has bad wind. She has had a celliac test about 4 months ago which has come back negative. Jus wondering is this normal in type 1? Her diet has not really changed apart from she is eating more bread. If any one has any ideas or help would be grateful.
Thanks

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, no it's not normal to have a tummy probs as a direct result of being type-1. It could be caused by a change in diet, or a side-effect to medication. What medication is your daughter on for her diabetes?
Jus

Hazza

One of my daughters symptoms for being hypo is tummy ache, in fact it is the main symptom, so does it coincide to her being hypo? She is also starving when hypo and has wind all the time ( I think she takes after her mum for that ). :D

Harry

serankine

Hi thanks for your help so far.
She was on Nova mix 30. But last week we changed to 4 injections she is now on nova rapid and levmir.
She tends to run a little high. When she has belly ache we test her bg and she is fine (again a little high sometimes But no ketones).
She has also started to look a little bloated. Her diet hasnt really changed apart from eating slightly more bread. I really appreciate or you help.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi again,
maybe cutting down on the bread or replacing it with another carb option like oat cakes might help. She could try it for a week and see if there's any improvment. I stopped eating bread on my docs advice, for similar reasons :( . Nairns do a lovely fine-milled oat cake and I have them in place of bread.
best of luck :)

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Serankine

I had really bad stomach pains, bloating and nausea years ago but they never got to the bottom of it. Last year they diagnosed me coeliac and said I'd probably had it for a very long time.

There are different blood tests for coeliac so perhaps you could discuss with gp if they were both done, or just the one? My gastro advised that my brother (with stomach problems) got tested and that he requested both tests. Hopefully she won't have it, but better to know if she does...

Hope she's feeling better soon.
Cleo x