Tummy insulin bumps

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i was injections i use to inject a lot in my tummy, but now its left really bad lumps on my tummy that i cant get rid off. ive tried massaging them, doing exercise but nothing works. i wonder if anyone has any advice or if i could get them removed from surgery on the NHS?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Roberta,
the best way to get rid of them is to not inject anywhere nr them at all. Does your DSN or consultant know about the lumps? If not tell them.

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes ive told my consultant, he said theres nothing that they can do. ive had them for about 6 years now and they just wont go. i dont inject anymore ive been on the insulin pump that i now attach to my leg. Its just one of those things that get me down because my tummy is an odd shape from it

josie38

HI,

I had the same in my thighs when i was injections. The hard lump under the skin has gone but the skin is still a bit swollen from them. I am hoping that it will fade eventually :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeh thats what its like on my tummy, but its been years and its just not going. my doctor said they'll go down but never actually go. which is just great haha! :problem:

bobismad

My sister-in-law was prone to getting these due to not rotating her injection sites, she has had several minor operations to remove them over the years, I have them as well but my consultant has not said anything about them, except do not inject anywhere near them, as they affect the way the insulin is absorbed. Ive had my lumps for about 5 years and they havent really faded....I guess I'm stuck with them.....

Bob

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know if she got the operations done on the NHS? ive been told the same thing to not inject there but they just wont go away. If i could get them removed on the NHS it would be brilliant, ive had them for as long as i can remember, it bugs me everyday. Apart from an operation i dont think theres anyway of them really going :/

Roberta

iHs

Roberta said:
Do you know if she got the operations done on the NHS? ive been told the same thing to not inject there but they just wont go away. If i could get them removed on the NHS it would be brilliant, ive had them for as long as i can remember, it bugs me everyday. Apart from an operation i dont think theres anyway of them really going :/

Roberta

Like Josie I also had lumps on my thighs from using once daily insulin injected in large amounts to form a depot that released itself into the bloodstream over a 24hr time frame over a 6 year period.

I had the lumps for many years until a consultant asked me on one my 6 monthly check ups if I had any lumps or bumps so I said yes on my legs. He had a quick look and said we can do something about those and referred me to see a plastic surgeon on the NHS. I had liposuction done as a day case and apart from my leg being a tiny bit sore and the need to keep the skin flat, I'm pleased with the results.

I think that if you explain that the lumps are maybe affecting your mental wellbeing, then a referral to see a surgeon is possible.

Good luck :)

Peter27

I have lumps in my tummy also from a number of years of overusing that site. Have tried massage, exercise etc to no good effect. Have totally stopped using the area but would love to get rid of unsightly bumps. What is involved in liposuction? -- local or general anaesthetic?

iHs

Peter27 said:
I have lumps in my tummy also from a number of years of overusing that site. Have tried massage, exercise etc to no good effect. Have totally stopped using the area but would love to get rid of unsightly bumps. What is involved in liposuction? -- local or general anaesthetic?

Liposuction is done under a GA (mine was in late 90's). I was all ok with no problems and came home same day late afternoon (op was done early morning), but mine was done on the leg. All I had was 2 stitches in my leg about 12" apart where the tube went in and a tightish bandage thing to keep the skin flat. I replaced that at home with a pair of lycra cycling shorts which worked a treat kept the skin flat for about 10 days I think. You can probably watch liposuction being done on Youtube.

With every op there is always a risk that things could go wrong and this is also true of liposuction especially when it's done on the tummy but unless a referral is made to see a surgeon, then no one is going to find out.

Hope that helps a bit :) ............

zuerner

I used to inject in my stomache for years and have those same lumps in my stomache area, I'm now using a pump and was putting the canular for that into my stomache in the same area. My Hb1Ac's were in the 8's and I couldn't get them down and my BM's were up and down. My consultant threatened taking me off the pump so I tried everything to get my results better without success. So I tried putting the canular in my side and literally overnight my sugars became better and now my Hb1Ac is 7.2 so it just goes to show how something like this can affect your control.

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oh thats brilliant, i will definately talk to my consultant and fingers crossed they can sort it :)
be amazing if they could. Thank you

Roberta

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have a small lump in my tummy from when I started my journey with diabetes and used glass syringes to inject, the needles weren't small & fine like they are now and often it felt like a nail being driven in the skin, it's never gone away but is less noticeable nowadays.

Elc1112

Roberta,

I had the same problem in my tummy. Most went after not injecting there for a couple or years. There were, however, one or two that I couldn't shift. They were really noticeable, to me anyway! I had mine removed last year. Didn't get it done on the NhS. I went private and had a laser treatment on them. It cost about £250 for the whole treatment. Bit tingly but not painful neither really well :)

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi, I have lumps on my tummy too from yers of injecting there.
I was refered to the local plastics unit as my consultant felt that it could affect my diabetes control.
Unfortunately the commitee who decides on the funding said no to my case.
I was really upset, especially as the NHS has agreed to take on all the pips boob jobs.
I might try again though. It would be good to hear what happens with you too.

jcdevine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I know this thread was 3 years ago but I have just found it and am wondering how you got on Roberta? I too have lumps where I used to inject in my tummy all the time..it was so convenient to do it there. Now my body looks awful and I am really embarrassed about it.. I don't inject there any more but it isn't going away.