Tummy Pains

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 17 year old daughter has been complaining of tummy pains for almost 3 years now we have had lots of tests and scans but so far no clear results, she was dx type1 aged 8, we have been told she will be referred to a gastrologist but are still waiting to hear. Does any one have any advice or no how long these sort of referrals take? X

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Colacard, you mentioned she's had lots of tests - do you know if they checked for coeliac? I had umpteen tests and scans in my early twenties but they didn't find anything until 8 years later, at which point biopsies showed coeliac disease in final stage. Hopefully not the case for your daughter but it is more common for diabetics and somehow gets overlooked time and time again.

Referral time will depend on your area - our area has target of 12 weeks but I think it was slightly less than that from getting positive blood test to getting endoscopy (camera down throat) then another 2-3 months to see gastro.

Hope it doesn't take too long. Might be worth calling hospital to see if you're on their list, and mention you're flexible for last minute cancellations etc (if that's the case!)

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Cleo82
She has had a blood test for celiac which came back clear, the doctors surgery said they had done all the tests they could and that was why she was being referred to the gastrologist, just wish we knew how long this will take. I have heard that celiac blood tests can come back negative but then the endoscopy test could be positive. Hate to see her in pain and feeling so down, she has enough to contend with the diabetes if she has celiac s as well as least we will no and be able to sort her food out accordingly.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app