Tutti Fruity

Paulgrayston

being t1 for nearly a months. I miss fruit. I like plums apricots apples and bananas. but not sure if it's OK as sugar will shoot up. some advice please

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
being t1 for nearly a months. I miss fruit. I like plums apricots apples and bananas. but not sure if it's OK as sugar will shoot up. some advice please

You can have fruit as long as you bolus correctly. I eat apples, oranges, plums, peaches, apricots, mango, berries, etc I have one serving, usually after a meal, and I bolus for it.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can eat as much fruit as you want, providing that you bolus correctly for it. But bear in mind that fruit can cause a fairly sharp BG rise, so it's best not to eat loads in one sitting.

There is a handy app (you may already be aware of) called "Carbs and Cals" which can help you with estimating the carb content of foods, including fruits. It's available for Android and iOS

Grant

Reactions: 2 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can have fruit as long as you bolus correctly. I eat apples, oranges, plums, peaches, apricots, mango, berries, etc I have one serving, usually after a meal, and I bolus for it.
@azure, I would very much appreciate if you could accommodate for the slow typers on the forum;)

Reactions: 4 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick question whilst we're on fruit. Whenever I eat an apple it makes me feel hungrier than before started.
Anyone else has strange as me?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

If you find they shoot-up your bg then have a piece of fruit as a dessert (after your main meal) rather than a snack, provided you calculate the fruit in your bolus dose you should be fine.

Try and go for unripened banana's, I buy the fun-size banana's and have one most days, but some fruits are quite lower in carbs like strawberries and other fruits ending in berry.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a quick question whilst we're on fruit. Whenever I eat an apple it makes me feel hungrier than before started.
Anyone else has strange as me?

Ha! I find that too! It happened even before I developed diabetes. I find it's worse on an empty stomach so I never have apples as a snack. I have them after a meal and then usually have something tiny after like some cheese or nuts. I have no idea what it is, but assumed it must be a chemical in the flesh or skin.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat fruit every day. I like buying "kiddie bananas" which are only half the size of a normal one so only 15g carbs. If I have normal bananas I usually only eat half anyway. I usually get pretty good numbers after eating fruit, even if I spike a bit it usually doesn't go too high or it comes back down quickly

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to eat fruit, it's a huge part of your essential carbs and your 7 a day which is iportsnt for diabetics, especially younger diabetics and children. Your heart and brain and skin will be happy that you're eating fruit, even your digestive system requires the fibre from fruit to work correctly.
Just bolus for it. Use the Glucci-chek app, it's fab and it's free.
My son has 7 portions of fruit and veg a day.
Every breakfast he has either a banana or 10-15 grapes.
With lunch he has an apple and for school pe or playtime a satsuma. He then snacks on broccoli, carrotts, tomatoes and cucumber with some ham or chicken and for dinner we have either salad or a veggie meal.
I just limit some carbs like potatoes, we eliminate bread and pasta and rice as much as possible but if you bolus correctly you can have them, just be careful. Luckily I've found he's ok with pasta but he can't handle rice, he's ok 2 hours post meal but 4 hours after he's pushing 9mmol and needs bringing back down under 7.
Seriously, take the fruit, berries especially, raspberries, blueberries and mango are super fruits, your brain will love that xxxx

Edited by a mod

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if I've misinformed anyone.
Our dietician told us it was an essential part of a healthy balanced diet and especially for a diabetic who requires their fibre and good carbs.
I work on a gastro surgical ward too, all our diabetics are encouraged to eat fruits for their bowels.
Take the berries, they are a super fruit and enjoy. I'd rather my boy have an apple than a biscuit, that's for sure.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I might have been a bit short in my reply - no proper keyboard at the time. It does seem to be the NHS standard response that we need to eat slow acting carbs and this is based on research from the 1960's that more and more people find not to be true. Personally, I eat less than 25 grams of carbs per day and feel so much better for doing so. I feel less sluggish, less hungry, and overall better in myself.

I also find that when I get it 'wrong', it's less wrong.

For me on carbs, half a slice of bread represented 2 units of fast acting. If I was aiming for a blood sugar of 6 mmol/L and I was 2 units short (wrong by half a slice of bread), then I'd hit 10 mmol/L and this was too high. Likewise, if I got it wrong the other way, I'd hypo.

So what I've found by drastically cutting the carbs and putting myself into ketosis is that when I get it wrong, I might hit 8 mmol/L. And that when I correct, it's by half a unit or maybe a unit of fast acting).

(I feel obliged to add that I'm happy trying stuff out on myself - I've no idea how this works with a growing child.)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@TeamBeal You didn't misinform anyone :) Carbs may not be essential but most Type 1s enjoy varying amounts of carbs per day, including fruit, veg, potatoes, pasta, rice, cereal, etc, etc

The trick is to bolus appropriately - right amount at the right time - and learn what works :)