Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Got the box set queued up tonight. Looks really good and I usually enjoy Roth's work.

Agreed @db89

In interviews he seems like a genuine down-to-earth fella, not like some actors who let stardom go to their heads.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Anyone seen Strike? Only seen episode one and I'm hoping it is not another priate eye stock prog.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyone seen Strike? Only seen episode one and I'm hoping it is not another priate eye stock prog.

We watched the first two episodes last weekend, the first episode I wasn't too keen on but my wife liked it so we watched the second, by the end of the episode I quite enjoyed it and looking forward to the third.

When watching the first episode I thought I recognised the actor who plays Strike, Tom Burke was in the BBC's adaptation of Tolstoy's novel War & Peace last year, he played Fedor Dolokhov in the drama and was excellent in that too.

As to whether it will be just another run of the mill Private Eye drama, time will tell but if anything it's a modern take on things and has a good story behind the lead character Strike, him serving in Afghanistan and losing a leg as a result, they may go back to this at some point in one of the story's.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We watched the first two episodes last weekend, the first episode I wasn't too keen on but my wife liked it so we watched the second, by the end of the episode I quite enjoyed it and looking forward to the third.

When watching the first episode I thought I recognised the actor who plays Strike, Tom Burke was in the BBC's adaptation of Tolstoy's novel War & Peace last year, he played Fedor Dolokhov in the drama and was excellent in that too.

As to whether it will be just another run of the mill Private Eye drama, time will tell but if anything it's a modern take on things and has a good story behind the lead character Strike, him serving in Afghanistan and losing a leg as a result, they may go back to this at some point in one of the story's.

Just love the way he talks to his leg.

C

chris lowe

Thought first episode was a bit slow but it improved after that. Quite enjoyed it but I had read the book but luckily didn't remember the twist at the end. Also liked the location, with a guitarist for a husband I've been dragged round many of the shops in Denmark Street

Reactions: noblehead

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I so enjoyed War and Peace, normally I run straight out and buy the book that good dramatisations are based on e.g An Inspector Calls but funnily enough I never did get a copy of WaP!
Another great adaptation was 1864 about the war between Germany and Denmark, as I would normally forego modern history I was pleasantly surprised at that one.

Reactions: dbr10

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I so enjoyed War and Peace, normally I run straight out and buy the book that good dramatisations are based on e.g An Inspector Calls but funnily enough I never did get a copy of WaP!
Another great adaptation was 1864 about the war between Germany and Denmark, as I would normally forego modern history I was pleasantly surprised at that one.

Not seen 1864 before, will have to look out for it.

War and Peace was the BBC at its best, one....... if not the best series for many a year. We've watched it twice even though it was only released last year, a great cast and stunning sets.

Watched the last episode of Strike The Cuckoo's Calling last night, thought it was slow at the start but gathered pace at the end, overall the series was OK and will watch the next one when it airs in a week or so, the song that they used in the end of the The Cuckoo's Calling is one of my old time favourites, Ooh La La by The Faces:

C

chris lowe

1864 was good, I didn't really know much about that period of history particularly Denmark & Germany ( but then why would I?) I quite like historical as long as it's fairly factual, I hate the films about WWII where they bend - ok downright rewrite- history to make it look like they did all the hard work. Can't remember which one it was but about the Enigma machines being captured & decoded springs to mind.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
1864 was good, I didn't really know much about that period of history particularly Denmark & Germany ( but then why would I?) I quite like historical as long as it's fairly factual, I hate the films about WWII where they bend - ok downright rewrite- history to make it look like they did all the hard work. Can't remember which one it was but about the Enigma machines being captured & decoded springs to mind.

Aye, and the further back they go in histoey the more they change the history. The worst one is Braveheart, the Battle of Sterling Bridge shot without a bridge!

Reactions: chris lowe

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recorded it when it was on months ago. You've reminded me to watch it

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. Drivel

Reactions: chris lowe

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aye, and the further back they go in histoey the more they change the history. The worst one is Braveheart, the Battle of Sterling Bridge shot without a bridge!
I personally think 'Tim' was the pinnacle of Gibson's career.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
One of my favourite characters from the mediaeval is Alfred the Great, I've read a couple of history/autobiographical books on him and countless pieces on t'web so when I saw adverts for 'The Last Kingdom' I thought well, I would give it a go. As the programme is billed as historical fiction it doesn't claim a high degree of accuracy.
Some of the costumes made me chuckle, especially the chain mail because it looked like my granny had knitted it! The obligatory love interest got my goat but what saved the show for me was the portrayal of Alfred the Great. Barring artistic licence and some good guesswork they got ol'Fred down very well. So much so that I bought the books that the show was based on. Great entertainment with (what I describe as) a shout out to history.
The lead actor is not bad viewing either!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tin Star, got round to watching 4 episodes last night, it's quite addictive when you get into it :)

It's a good series and definitely worth watching/downloading, it has a bit of Fargo about it but that's not a bad thing.

Reactions: db89

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dr Foster, Safe House and a couple of episodes of Tin Star lined up for tonight :)

Dr Foster, only one episode in but think this series could be better than the first.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Foster, Safe House and a couple of episodes of Tin Star lined up for tonight :)

Dr Foster, only one episode in but think this series could be better than the first.
Do you juggle quite a few series at one time? I only usually have 2 at most on the go.

Trust Me for me this week. Enjoyed most of it despite some big plot holes and the last half hour. I've got Strike, Riviera and Tin Star lined up next though I doubt I'll make any progress with any over the weekend with the F1 back.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you juggle quite a few series at one time? I only usually have 2 at most on the go.

Trust Me for me this week. Enjoyed most of it despite some big plot holes and the last half hour. I've got Strike, Riviera and Tin Star lined up next though I doubt I'll make any progress with any over the weekend with the F1 back.

Watching about 6 series at the moment, I've watched Trust Me and it's a great drama but obviously a bit far-fetched, hopefully it will be back for a second series but the only thing that might stop it coming back is the lead actor Jodie Wittaker, with her being the new Dr Who her work schedule may be too hectic (but hopefully not).

Not seen Riviera but it looks good, you'll love Tin Star, similar to the series Fargo in a way but not as strange :)