Twice Daily

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
What are the advantages of spliiting Levimir in to 2 doses? I currently take 54 units each evening

Lorna

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Lorna,
From what i've heard of splitting the Levemir dose,it is to get better control, as it doesn't always last 24hrs. My son takes 20units at 9pm and we are about to embark on spliting his dose as it runs out at teatime. Everyones different and its not always as simple as splitting 50/50. It will be worth the effort just to erradicate the high readings we get at teatime and before bed, and hopefully to help his next Hbac1. We are going to try 18units at 8pm, and 4units at 8am, fingers crossed it won't be too big a roller coaster.
Suzi x

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thanks Suzi, I tend to get high readings before my evening meal, maybe I shall try splitting my dose in to 2

Lorna

rapidyellow

I used to take 60 at night then split it, in reality I dont think it made any difference apart from injection sites are now more painful

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
rapidyellow said:
I used to take 60 at night then split it, in reality I dont think it made any difference apart from injection sites are now more painful

At last, someone who takes as much as me :wink:

Lorna

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lorna,

There are significant advantages in splitting your Levemir dose in my opinion.
Novo Nordisk themselves say that Levemir's action can be over within 18 hours in some people. There seems to be a fairly wide range of activity periods depending on the individual and the size of the dose, but it's pretty unusual to find it working for precisely 24 hours in someone.
One common experience with people taking a single dose is that, because it is larger, it can push blood glucose levels too low overnight and first thing in the morning. Then, as it wears off through the day, blood glucose levels rise the following evening. Both of these things used to happen to me, but simply splitting the dose put an end to them immediately.
Also, as split doses will be smaller, they are absorbed better and less likely to cause swelling or bruising at your injection sites.

All the best,

fergus

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thanks Fergus, i am getting high readings in the evening so will start splitting my dose, do you split yours 50/50?

Lorna

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No problem Lorna.
Yes, I split my dose 50/50 before bed and first thing the following morning. This gives an 8 hour 'overlap' which ensures the Levemir never runs out.
If you give it a try, you can always fine-tune it to suit your bg results.

All the best,

fergus

Blackadder

Fergus, when you say before bed and first thing in the morning what sort of times are we talking about here?

I take 18 units at 10pm and 10 units at 10am but I find a rise in BS betweeen about 9am - 12am and a considerable lowering around 3pm in the afternoon.

I was thinking of moving to 8pm and 8am but 10pm and 8am would suit better perhaps?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hmmmm...... to be honest, it's such an individual thing that it's hard to give practical advice.
Personally, I take one dose of Levemir at 11-12 in the evening and the second between 7-8 in the morning, both of equal sizes.
One possible suggestion might be for you to try a 50/50 split and see whether that gives you more consistent coverage?

All the best,

fergus

HJM1966

I have, this evening, decided to try splitting my dose too. I'm looking forward to seeing the results! Having real difficulty at the moment controlling my BG as waking up with it high and then having to deal with the effects of this for the rest of the day - and so the cycle continues. This doesn't happen all of the time - but often enough for it to have increased my hba1C reading for the first time in years.......splitting the dose has got to be worth a try.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good luck with it HJM1966. Let us know how you get on.
Oh, and welcome to the forum incidentally!

fergus

sugar2

I am a "splitter" too. When i first did this, I was advised to slightly reduce my dose ie give about 40% before breakfast, and 40 before bed. Did this make my BG go up...yes, but I didn't hypo. I thne finetuned it from there It took a few weeks to get it right, and I know have slighlyt more during the day....not saying this is right for you, just wanted to say that you have to may have tomake small adjustments. Don't write it off until you have "fine tuned" though. Good luck!

HJM1966

Thank you for your support. Wasn't a brilliant first day on new regime, but no 'highs' atall which has got to be a good thing! Will see how things go over the next few days - possibly even weeks....after all, have had this blasted thing for 26 years so will be patient! :D

meela83

I split my dose too, although on lantus not levemir. I take 16 at bed and 8 in the morning, this stopped me from waking up hypo and high readings in the evening. Good luck with it :D