Two set failures (Vibe Inset II)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Hba1c has shown no response to the pump at all. When I started it was 9.7%, it's now 9.7% a year later. The only time it went down was when I was running CGM. It dropped sharply from 9.7 to 8.0 in only 2 months while I was running CGM, then climbed quickly back to 9.7 again. :-((

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be looking at a refresher course to find out what is going wrong and why
You pull the spring back until it locks, press against the skin and fire. It's basically idiot proof (as long as you remove the needle cover and the adhesive cover). I'm not really sure what any refresher course is going to offer to improve on that?

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
It's bloody depressing. :-([/QUOTE]
I bet it's depressing mate, I've found sometimes when inserting the cannula round the stomach the skin does feel really tough then all of a sudden it gives and it just pops in

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

not sure what you are doing wrong Spiker but you shouldnt be getting the amount of failures that you do. Something isnt right is it? Its either yr technique or set that is not firing correctly. Have you contacted the Vibe rep about these issues? If not, you should do. Have you met with other Vibe users who would be willing to help you and go over the technique that you are using and find an area on yr body that might be ok? Have you tried above yr navel or 4ins above yr goolies lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its either yr technique or set that is not firing correctly.
Seriously I think the technique is foolproof. It either locks or it doesn't (try again). It either fires properly or it doesn't (discard and try again). It either sticks on or it doesn't (discard and try again). The only thing you can really get wrong is to leave the needle cover on. And I know I'm not doing that, because I always leave the needle cover in the dish shaped cap, and I always look for it when I am tidying up after insertion.
Maybe I just have the wrong kind of skin.

iHs

Have you tried about 12ins above yr knee as the skin is probably flat there? Also, incase you have some flab, stand up to insert and try to avoid inserting into folds

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried about 12ins above yr knee as the skin is probably flat there? Also, incase you have some flab, stand up to insert and try to avoid inserting into folds
Yes, I'm doing all that. :-(
Thanks for trying to help.

iHs

If you try the Tenderlink, its like the inset 30 and silhouette but goes in manually without an inserter. The introducer is slightly thicker so that might help. Pm if you want to try one to see if it helps ok

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might be hitting scar tissue. I started to have an increase in kinked cannulas in an area I now avoid. I also found rubbing bio oil in very firmly each night (although not near my current set) and taking a biotin supplement have helped hugely.

Sets with a kinked cannula can leak insulin due to pressure build up. However if a leaking set is straight when you pull it out it's a different problem. Have you set your delivery to slow? Also might be worth trying the 9mm inset.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've set the delivery to slow and still get the same problem. The area is free from any visible scar tissue, palpates fine, is smooth and healthy. In each case after insertion the insertion needle has been perfectly straight, not bent, not damaged. I always check the insertion needle. The adhesive patch is not moving around, it's very tight and in fact very difficult to peel off. So I don't think there is any chance of movement of the cannula.

I spoke to Animas and they had no clue. They asked that next time it happens I send them the cannula.

It's a good suggestion @MushyPeaBrain about the 9mm Inset IIs, I am using 6mm so maybe that would help.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sets with a kinked cannula can leak insulin due to pressure build up. However if a leaking set is straight when you pull it out it's a different problem.
Yes mostly they are kinked on removal. Sometimes straight but I wouldn't swear that the leaky ones have ever been straight. So a kinked cannula is probably part of the explanation. But as to why they are getting kinked, who knows.

I guess I better try a different site area, but I really don't see any evidence of scar tissue there at all. It looks totally healthy.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess I'll order some 9mm Inset IIs. But Animas UK are on hols today, only technical support (US) is at work.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I guess I'll order some 9mm Inset IIs. But Animas UK are on hols today, only technical support (US) is at work.
Are they open tomorrow morning?
Not sure if you know this but Animas will send out a few trial cannula's so you can see what suits you best.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried manually inserting the cannula? You may get more feedback about whether it has gone in well or not as you'll be able to feel the resistance as you push it in.
(eda: I have no idea about animas cannula as on medtronic but t is possible to manually insert medtronic quick-sets)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure if you could disassemble an Inset 2. But there are other manual types of sets and you are right the feedback is a lot better.