Two set failures (Vibe Inset II)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Two set failures in a row. Running HI and in the high 30s for about 12 hrs. The canulas were leaking even after setting slow delivery. I think at least one of them bent sideways on insertion. I replaced again at 3 am, went to SLEEP half expecting to wake up with DKA. Luckily it was 13 by morning. Of course these kind of malfunctions make IOB meaningless. An inevitably I had a rebound hypo in the morning.

I have to say I am getting so sick of the unreliability of the pump. Physically sick in fact, I feel like **** again today. I feel like I just can't trust the pump to work. So despite the superior basal management I am really thinking about going back to MDI just for reliability and peace of mind. :-(

Its

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
So sorry that you feel this way at the moment Spiker don't give up just yet you've so much to gain from pumping my friend

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

@Spiker pumps at times dont behave. If I get very high bg,, I always use my pen and not the pump esp if the problem is during the night. This gives me peace of mind and I tackle the reason for high bg in the morning and dont worry about IOB. I would rather have a low bg than be high.

Re...Inset 2s are you pulling the white plastic spring back until it firmly locks only there have been some sets where it becomes hard to get the spring to lock ok and if the spring is only partly locked, the introducer wont fire correctly and the teflon cannula might bend slightly at the end which will cause high bg but not an occlusion. If you suspect that some of the sets have dodgy springs, inform Animas and insist on replacements.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Understandable your fed-up Spiker, but iHs is spot on when she says you should use your pen when your bg climbs sky high.

Bring this to the attention of your DSN and the manufacturers, two in a row seems unacceptable.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Have you got any other sets that you could use? I always make sure that Ive got back up sets of different types

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Two set failures in a row. Running HI and in the high 30s for about 12 hrs. The canulas were leaking even after setting slow delivery. I think at least one of them bent sideways on insertion. I replaced again at 3 am, went to SLEEP half expecting to wake up with DKA. Luckily it was 13 by morning. Of course these kind of malfunctions make IOB meaningless. An inevitably I had a rebound hypo in the morning.

I have to say I am getting so sick of the unreliability of the pump. Physically sick in fact, I feel like **** again today. I feel like I just can't trust the pump to work. So despite the superior basal management I am really thinking about going back to MDI just for reliability and peace of mind. :-(

Its
Wow in almost 8 years of pumping I have only had a couple of set failures and 1 no delivery alarm. I have come to the conclusion @Spiker you must be jinxed :eek:

iHs

Wow in almost 8 years of pumping I have only had a couple of set failures and 1 no delivery alarm. I have come to the conclusion @Spiker you must be jinxed :eek:
As sets go, although I sometimes use the inset Ii, the best set for insertion and reliability is the inset 30. The steel needle Contact D is also good.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As sets go, although I sometimes use the inset Ii, the best set for insertion and reliability is the inset 30. The steel needle Contact D is also good.
Yes I use the inset 30 and used the cleo90 before that. I can not get on with the steel needles though. :(

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Problem with correcting with a pen is you lose the opportunity to use the correction to confirm that the new infusion set is working.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you got any other sets that you could use? I always make sure that Ive got back up sets of different types
Having tried various other types of sets the Inset 2s are the best for me. Just the reliability of any of the sets is not great compared to pens.

iHs

Well unless you can get yr hospital to set up another account with Accu chek to supply their Luer connecting tubes and sets, you are stuck with Animas or back to pens again and just use the Vibe as a cgm

iHs

Problem with correcting with a pen is you lose the opportunity to use the correction to confirm that the new infusion set is working.

Not if you use the Expert meter with bolus wizard. The Expert tells you how much of the insulin is still active on the top lefthand corner of the Bolus Advice screen. I dont bother too much anymore using the bolus wizard on the Vibe. I use the Expert instead and then whatever the bolus amounts to, I just use Normal on the Vibe and enter the amount and away it goes. I dont bother with Diasend either

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well if you inject with the pen all you do pump the same amount into thin air so you have IOB your basal is still working so if your set isn't working the lack of basal will soon show up as you won't have enough insulin to cover the correction it will be taken up by basal need from the pen.
A quicker way to get numbers down and do please check your blood sugars for any hypo signs, is to double your basal and half the correction.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The steel needles leave big holes in my sides and the Inset 30 leaves holes in my clumsy fingers.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well if you inject with the pen all you do pump the same amount into thin air so you have IOB your basal is still working so if your set isn't working the lack of basal will soon show up as you won't have enough insulin to cover the correction it will be taken up by basal need from the pen.
A quicker way to get numbers down and do please check your blood sugars for any hypo signs, is to double your basal and half the correction.
I think you are missing my point. When I've just put a new set on after a previous set failed (let alone when two previous sets in a row have failed) it's imperative for me to know if the new set is working. If I do a pen injection, I have no ability to tell if the pump is working for at least the next 4-5 hours, possibly longer.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok that doesn't make any sense unless by a pure coincidence my total basal rate over the next 4-5 hours happened to be exactly equal to half the correction dose. I have to say that recommendation sounds like a really bad idea. It just does not make any arithmetical or logical sense. It sounds like totally winging it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well if you inject with the pen all you do pump the same amount into thin air so you have IOB your basal is still working
Yes I do this from time to time but it's far from ideal. Apart from the fact that the Vibe just discards any record of the IOB on a battery change or reservoir change(?). I wish the Vibe had a capability just to record a non-pump dose being given instead of the workaround of spilling insulin.
But again I think you're missing the point about IOB. The point is that if the infusion set or pump has been misbehaving recently I have to ignore the IOB on the pump, as it will be wrong by some unknown value, as some unknown amount of the insulin that the pump believes is IOB, has failed to make it into me (for whatever reason). It's not the IOB of the pen that's the problem (as you say there's the workaround of spilling insulin for that), it's the IOB of the previously malfunctioning pump that's the problem. And there's no workaround for that.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not if you use the Expert meter with bolus wizard. The Expert tells you how much of the insulin is still active on the top lefthand corner of the Bolus Advice screen. I dont bother too much anymore using the bolus wizard on the Vibe. I use the Expert instead and then whatever the bolus amounts to, I just use Normal on the Vibe and enter the amount and away it goes. I dont bother with Diasend either
Well I don't have a meter with a bolus wizard or IOB record. I only have the bolus wizard and IOB meter on the Vibe. In this case using a meter for the IOB and bolus would still not solve the problem, because the problem is I have no idea about my IOB because I don't know how much of the pump's insulin failed to deliver into me. So the meter IOB and the pump IOB would be exactly as wrong as each other.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have probably had between 20 to 30 set failures in 13 months of pumping. :-(