Two Year Mystery Solved - BD Autoshield Needles Failing To Deliver!

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For almost two years I have been getting so very frustrated with the reliability of BD Autoshield needles. More than often no insulin and I have a huge box of unusable needles. Today I actually looked more closely at the orange rubber core and the problem has been that the needles have been inserted upside down in them!

434732.jpg

(Yes, now I can report this to Yellow Card - https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk or take them back to Boots.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Pansyp that's a bad mistake to make by one of the leading manufacturers good job you noticed it can you let us know how you get on with returning them etc it would be good to know what bd has to say? Thanks

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I will do! I have gathered about a full box worth and it adds further clutter to the flat so I want rid of them. (I also have loads of other used needles that I can't find a home for in central London,without paying but that's another situation which has been discussed here many times!)

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome Maria!! Try to post on a more popular thread and Daisy will be tagged to pass on valuable information that all new comers receive. I don't know how to do this!

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay. I took the full box to to Boots and they are going to take it up with Yellow Card. However I now feel a bit of a numpty!

This morning I decided to unseal and check all the ones I have left. I was getting into a panic situation as each one I deemed unusable and my injection was due! I then realised my mistake. Yes the needle will stick up towards me but the plunger in the pen pushes it down the rubber component zzz Out of about forty I unsealed, three needles were bent. Still not perfect though.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Update. Out of the 35 remaining needles n my box, 5 are unusable .....

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I think a complaint to the manufacturer is in order! They are selling goods (at least some of them) that at are not fit for the purpose they are intended. Trade Description Act methinks!

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup and it's highly frustrating that if you go on holiday you don't know how many to take. Now I will unseal them first to check their useability which isn't satisfactory hygienic wise!

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all,,have you considered the tv?,,when they pick something up,, and then test it, they would give the company such a terrible shock and a major shake up,,,,good luck with getting this terrible problem sorted out and getting a product that works for you,,,ttfn from karen.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I will leave it with Boots to sort out. I feel so bad that a lot of the ones I handed back to them perhaps would have been okay if I had tried them again! mmm!