Typ2 medication

Hez14

Hi there I'm new to this site and wonder if anyone can offer any help or advice. I am type 2 diabetic and have been for the past 3years. This past year my sugars have suddenly become so unstable and I have struggled to get them below 11.5 as a fastd read. I have been on Byetta with no success. I am intolerant to metformin having terrible stomach issues. Lately I have been put on glimeraride then gliclizide and now jauniva all of which I have reactions too that interfer with my daily life. I feel my sugars have been so raised for so long that it will be doing irreparable damage to my organs. I am at a loss as of what to do as the gp's seem insistent to explore all the drug therapy first.

I follow a low carb diet and restrict my sugar intake.

My concerns are why am I so intolerant to the medication?
How long do I need to continue having these high sugar readings before they look at something else?
Is there something else that's underlying?
Is there anything I can suggest to my doctor?

I'm starting to worry about my long term health. My blood pressure is fine. My liver levels have been raised and I keep having repeat blood tests. My thyroid levels seem to swing about a lot also.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Heather

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. How old are you? Are you normal or underweight. It is always possible that you aren't a T2 but have a diabetes variant such as LADA (Late onset Type 1). If the tablets aren't working and your HBa1C rises too high (see NICE guidelines) then you will need to move to insulin. If you are something like LADA then the move to insulin comes faster. There are two tests the GP can do to confirm LADA or otherwise i.e. c-peptide and GAD. If your GP is like mine he/she will resist going over to insulin until the HBa1C rises quite high. I'm keeping a close eye on my HBa1c and will push for insulin when it's needed. Let me know your age and weight/BMI. You could, of course, have some other condition that is causing the high blood sugar; nothing is easy!

Hez14

Thanks for your reply. I am 33 I am slightly overweight and find it really hard to lose weight. I was at the go today and I have been given one other tablet to try pioglutazone which I'm not holding out much hope for. The next step will be insulin. My hba1c started at 6.7 and has now reached 8.8. Your input has been helpful. Thanks again heather

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. With diabetes at age 33 I suggest you may well be a late onset T1 (LADA). You could ask your GP to do a GAD and c-peptide test to show up any antibodies which will effectively prove it, but he may well look bemused and say the treatment is the same anyway. I've just booked these two tests privately via company on the web as my GP says I'm a T2 regardless but I have sneaking suspicion I may be a VERY late T1 myself and wish to understand more even though the treatment path is similar but faster to insulin. At 8.8 HBa1c I think you should consider going onto insulin now; see the NICE guidelines? I guess your GP is like mine. When I suggested going onto insulin last year she said it was a last resort ignoring the possible damage being done and I'm below 8.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Most meds have some side effect or another and some to a greater degree than others. You have to really stick with it until it really does become completely intolerable.
Have you tried modified release metfartin in divided dose? More often than not, the MR/SR version of the tablet will overcome the stomach problems.

Hez14

Thanks for that information. Funnily I was looking today at places online for doing the tests. What one did you use? If you don't mind me asking.

The medication I get terrible gastro problems ten days was the longest I was able to tolerate it for. I would be doubled over and never off the loo!! And it was interfering with my work. I am on the metformin sr I can only manage two a day even then I still get nausea and a dull headache but manage to tolerate that.

princeasl

Hi, I've been Diabetic now for 3 years but was only diagnosed with it last year. my reading tonight was 30.2mml which is really very high. I'm really scared about taking medication due to side effects and not being able to come off them. Can someone please advise? What should I do, I've lost a lot of weight and been trying to sort out my diet. To be honest my readings are usually a lot lower around the 17 mark on a good day...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Princeas1, definitely see your doctor. See Daibell's post above. It would help us to help you if you could answer the questions asked of the original poster:

Daibell said:
Hi. How old are you? Are you normal or underweight. It is always possible that you aren't a T2 but have a diabetes variant such as LADA (Late onset Type 1). If the tablets aren't working and your HBa1C rises too high (see NICE guidelines) then you will need to move to insulin. If you are something like LADA then the move to insulin comes faster. There are two tests the GP can do to confirm LADA or otherwise i.e. c-peptide and GAD. If your GP is like mine he/she will resist going over to insulin until the HBa1C rises quite high. I'm keeping a close eye on my HBa1c and will push for insulin when it's needed. Let me know your age and weight/BMI. You could, of course, have some other condition that is causing the high blood sugar; nothing is easy!

As I said to you on another post, getting control of your blood glucose is of paramount importance if you want to avoid complications.

Hez14

Hi someone kindly sent a private message to me and unfortunately I cannot seem to access it I don't have authorisation. If you could kindly resend to my direct email I would be grateful. [email address removed for your protection]
Many thanks

Heather

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Heather :) Private messages are accessible when you have posted 5 times. If you thank me for this post you will be able to see your message. It is not advisable to post your email address as you will get flooded with unwanted messages from strangers so I have removed it for you.

A

Anonymous

wow this is exaclty like my situation too, im having similar problems and have tried all the tablet medications and each one turns up with intolerable side effects ,especially metformin,onglyza,janumet,diamicron,amaryl, i cant handle it at all totally constipated and severe bloating ,even with janumet , excessive weight gain despite tight diet control and exercise ,i think i best head along to doc and ask for insulin to:( ,i was hoping to get some more years without it .weight control is a major problem for me .

Hez14

Hey Tom. I've just started on insulin it's taking time for my sugars to come down. I've asked my doctor to have my c peptide checked to rule out type 1.5 LADA and also investigation into subclinical hypothyroidism as I'm symptomatic of that and my thyroid results swing about quite a lot. My DSN wasn't very helpful and said some people just can't tolerate meds! Heather

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App