Type 1’s with Type A Personalities Live Longer - article

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another fascinating article from "Diabetes in Control". IMO it most probably applies to T2s as well as T1s.

"One of these risk factors for type 1 diabetes is type A behavior that is associated with aggressiveness, competitiveness, and achievement oriented personality traits. The authors said, "It appears that type A behavior may have different effects on health depending on underlying chronic disease status. Overall authors found that diabetic patients with type A behavior are more likely to have better blood glucose levels as they probably take extra precautions and are more careful about their disease state."

This sounds like me and Dr Bernstein, both!!!

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ty...dMD&utm_medium=TrendMD&utm_campaign=trendmd_0

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another fascinating article from "Diabetes in Control". IMO it most probably applies to T2s as well as T1s.

"One of these risk factors for type 1 diabetes is type A behavior that is associated with aggressiveness, competitiveness, and achievement oriented personality traits. The authors said, "It appears that type A behavior may have different effects on health depending on underlying chronic disease status. Overall authors found that diabetic patients with type A behavior are more likely to have better blood glucose levels as they probably take extra precautions and are more careful about their disease state."

This sounds like me and Dr Bernstein, both!!!

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ty...dMD&utm_medium=TrendMD&utm_campaign=trendmd_0

It's always good to have a few type A personalities, like you around @Alexandra100 I don't know how reliable this is, as research, there can be other motivations for good control, beyond wanting to be a high achiever, but I suspect that some sort of motivation is needed.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Great, it's my lucky day. As a beta female not only am I less likely to have got T1 (but I did) I'm even more likely to die early. :banghead:

Reactions: Dodo and therower

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
It's always good to have a few type A personalities, like you around @Alexandra100 I don't know how reliable this is, as research, there can be other motivations for good control, beyond wanting to be a high achiever, but I suspect that some sort of motivation is needed.
I certainly agree. Childhood and youth spent in denial of Type 1 and having been informed at the age of nearly 21 that I would be blind by the age of 23, my brain woke up! Maybe type A began to creep in after that, but even then was it just being a frustrated perfectionist?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Great, it's my lucky day. As a beta female not only am I less likely to have got T1 (but I did) I'm even more likely to die early. :banghead:
I hope you defy actuaries, life insurance agents and statisticians much the same as I have. I was told at the age of 13 that I might make it to 20; by an actuary when I was about 25 that I would probably just make 40; I am less than 3 months away from 60, so they can get stuffed!

Reactions: therower and Diakat

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No. Moderators must be type A personalities. You've just been miscategorised.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I said to the plumbing expert in B and Q .
" That's a lot of ball cocks!!!"

Reactions: Diakat