Type 1/2?

lucylou22

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum, hope to get some help and advice.
My name is lucy I'm 48 yrs old and was first diagnoised in may 2006 as a type 2, I was put on various diabetic meds gliclizide metformen which did not help control the diabetes after 8 weeks I was put on novomix 30 6 units 2 times a day over the last 2 years I have encountered various problems with my health and my diabetes at the moment I take 30 tablets a day (tend to rattle by the end of the day)
I was at my yearly check up in Mar 09 I asked the consultant what type of Diabetes did I have and he said type 1/2???? and my HB1c was 11.4 which was up from last year (8.2) it was decided that I have to go on to 4 injections a day of the Basil Bolus injections!!!!!!!
This is to start from 6th April and I am really stressed about this as I have been told it is completly different from the injections I take at the moment I have to attend the hospital every day for a week so the diabetic team can help me make the neccessery adjustments and how to correctly inject the amounts of insulin that I will need!!!!!!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

jopar

Hi lucylou22

Firstly welcome to the forum

It might be that what you have is LADA which is late onset of diabetes, which is many respects the same as T1 but comes on later on in life and at a slower rate than T1 diabetes, so it can in the early stages present as T2 diabetes, but fails to respond to oral T2 treatment…

As to your change of insulin regime, even though the basal/bolus regime of 4 injections a day sounds scary, you will find that in fact it’s one of the best regimes going… It is so much more flexible than pre-mixed insulins…

To get the best from it, you really do need to learn carb counting, as the bases of the regime is that you inject one slow acting (sometimes split into 2 jabs for better coverage) to cover the glucose that is coming off the liver into your system, known as background insulin, this is the basal part, the other injections are quick acting insulin which you inject to cover the carb content of a meal that you are eating..

You are able to control the carb content of any meal that you eat, so if you fancy just a omelette and side salad which doesn’t contain carbs, then you wouldn’t need to inject quick acting insulin to cover… You can adapt your diet to your needs, so it you want to lose or maintain weight you can do so, if you want to miss a meal or eat later you can do so…

Have they offered a carb counting course to help you to get off the ground with it all?

A tip here, is to be very pedantic with monitoring, test frequently, include not only date, time and BG’ but also include the food that you ate, both what and carb count for each item, add comments, that tell you whether you felt stressed, day off work or working, whether you felt/were under the whether… whether you’ve exercised or not even for the females is it the time of the month… The better the dairy kept the easier it is to see how your insulin and BG’s react to different situations and foods which lead to easier adjustments to gain better control

P.S

Take a lot around the different forums, for many different options of diets, ask any questions that you need insulin ones best dealt with in the T1 forum...

lucylou22

Hi
Thank you for the quick reply, I will be noseying around this site to get as much information as I can.
I think one of the reasons for attending the hospital Diabetes center all next week is so they can advise me on how best to administer the insulin and learn carb counting from the dietician I realise this is not going to happen overnight and there will have to be some big changes to my lifestyle.
But if this stops the horrendous hypos that I have been having then I am going to do everything they say.

Thank again Im sure I'll have other questions over the coming weeks

Lucy