Type 1, 26, male newbie questions

Glen_Cooksley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Mike, welcome to the forum, i found out end of november last year that i was type 1 diabetic and had the same lead up to being diagnosed, this forum is really good and have really great people with good advice, dont feel alone, and dont be scared to ask anything,

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome! I was diagnosed in December and I'm your age too. You'll get used to it very quickly and, as others have said, it's an inconvenience but not a disaster and you'll quickly adapt.

I don't think I'll have to change much in the big scheme of things, gonna miss a few little treasured items though. All of this being said, was has strucky me as wierd is I've been craving sweet stuff loads, I went from not eating anything sweet for years to gorging on chocolate and sweets daily for the past 2 months. Guess my body was trying to give me a nudge in the right direction!
Don't think that you'll have to miss out on the things you enjoyed before. My first worry when I found out I had T1D was about what I'd be "allowed" to eat - however, I still enjoy the odd chocolate, ice cream, take-away, pizza ..... as long it's in moderation and your diet is generally very good and varied and you get some exercise there is no reason at all not to continue to eat exactly as you did before: it's a myth that you HAVE to permanently low carb to keep your BG levels low: yes it's harder work to keep them low if you indulge in the odd treats, but it's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. You'll probably find you're in the "honeymoon period" now anyway, i.e. your pancreas is still producing some insulin of its own, so your initial NovoRapid doses may be very small which makes it easier to manage the correct dosages.

Reactions: 9 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome! I was diagnosed in December and I'm your age too. You'll get used to it very quickly and, as others have said, it's an inconvenience but not a disaster and you'll quickly adapt.

Don't think that you'll have to miss out on the things you enjoyed before. My first worry when I found out I had T1D was about what I'd be "allowed" to eat - however, I still enjoy the odd chocolate, ice cream, take-away, pizza ..... as long it's in moderation and your diet is generally very good and varied and you get some exercise there is no reason at all not to continue to eat exactly as you did before: it's a myth that you HAVE to permanently low carb to keep your BG levels low: yes it's harder work to keep them low if you indulge in the odd treats, but it's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. You'll probably find you're in the "honeymoon period" now anyway, i.e. your pancreas is still producing some insulin of its own, so your initial NovoRapid doses may be very small which makes it easier to manage the correct dosages.

Not to derail the thread, but what sources are you using to come to the conclusion that : " you have to permanently low carb to keep your BG levels low " is a myth ? A diagnosis since December isn't very long in which to have come to a personal conclusion, in my opinion .

Find your own levels, @mykey , read, experiment, and make your own mind up bearing on mind you are probably still on the " honeymoon" stage where your pancreas still kicks out some insulin , so your levels of tolerance will very likely change .

Signy

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
permanently
Not to derail the thread, but what sources are you using to come to the conclusion that : " you have to permanently low carb to keep your BG levels low " is a myth ? A diagnosis since December isn't very long in which to have come to a personal conclusion, in my opinion .

Find your own levels, @mykey , read, experiment, and make your own mind up bearing on mind you are probably still on the " honeymoon" stage where your pancreas still kicks out some insulin , so your levels of tolerance will very likely change .

Signy
Calm down! I wasn't opening a debate. I merely meant that you can still eat a treat every so often and it's not the end of the world. Nothing should be "banned". I have met T1Ds who eat completely "normally" and with a good exercise regime and accurate carb counting they maintain HbA1Cs between 5 and 6.

Reactions: 8 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm actually calm :D

Perhaps it's the way you worded that sentence that leads to confusion :) I feel that your original post was and is, misleading

Signy

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

You've done something I wish I'd done on my diagnosis day and that's enter this forum. I let losing weight for around 2-3 months (mainly because I was too scared to eat anything) but it wasn't long after that it started going back on.

You're in the right place, I've learned a lot of valuable information from people on here

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Mike welcome along! I've been type 1 since I was 3 so don't really remember how I felt, I'm a pump user and love it, makes my diabetes run much smoother! :) Abbie x

Dec_O

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Mykey. I was 27 (about a year and a half ago) when i was diagnosed.

Took a while to get used to everything as you get a lot of info thrown at you straight away. Even the basic terminology for everything escaped me at first but pretty soon you'll know most there is to know inside out.

At first being diagnosed felt like the end of the world but i'd describe it now as more of a minor inconvenience, especially if you grasp counting carbs etc. I was worried about getting back into sports, touring, having nights out but pretty soon I was doing all these 2nd nature. Like yourself , I'd lost a load of weight as well but managed to put it all back on pretty quickly and then it stayed pretty regular from then on.

If anything since altering my diet (if you're already eating well, you most likely wont have to even alter it too much anyway), and generally just looking after myself a bit more, I feel even better for it. My main advice is just to check your blood glucose levels often, picking out patterns from certain food, exercise and all that jazz that causes them to fluctuate. I still get a bit frustrated with messing up blood sugars now and again but it's gonna happen and you just do your best with it.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

mykey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Heathenlass, thanks for the kind words, the journey begins :)

@LaineyK thank you for your welcomes, I'm sure I'll be asking some silly questions but I'd rather ask and know than not ask and not know. Plenty to take in but to say I'm a couple of days in I'm feeling really positive. This kind of relates to what @Dec_O has said - proper good to hear that mate, it's exactly how I want to look at it! I feel alot of relief with this diagnosis, I've been concerened somethings up for a while so to get to know I'm not going crazy and there's actually something wrong is a nice feeling. And like you say, great excuse to look after myself.

Everyones really nice here, kind of feel like being initiated into a little club.. Well, big club. Cheers to you all :)

Reactions: 8 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Heathenlass, thanks for the kind words, the journey begins :)

@LaineyK thank you for your welcomes, I'm sure I'll be asking some silly questions but I'd rather ask and know than not ask and not know. Plenty to take in but to say I'm a couple of days in I'm feeling really positive. This kind of relates to what @Dec_O has said - proper good to hear that mate, it's exactly how I want to look at it! I feel alot of relief with this diagnosis, I've been concerened somethings up for a while so to get to know I'm not going crazy and there's actually something wrong is a nice feeling. And like you say, great excuse to look after myself.

Everyones really nice here, kind of feel like being initiated into a little club.. Well, big club. Cheers to you all :)

No, no ! The " Initiates Handshake " and the " Whipped With a Banana Skin" comes later ;) :D

Signy

Reactions: 4 people