Type 1. 3 weeks diagnosed.

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone ever just think f**k diabetes!! Diagnosed type 1, 3 weeks ago now and I just feel like it is controlling everything. Feel like giving up driving lessons & luckily I only have 1 week left of college or I would have felt like dropping out. Me and y boyfriend lik going out for dinner at weekend and now we don’t.When does it get easier because it feels like it won’t ever.

Sorry for depressing post x

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone ever just think f**k diabetes!! Diagnosed type 1, 3 weeks ago now and I just feel like it is controlling everything. Feel like giving up driving lessons & luckily I only have 1 week left of college or I would have felt like dropping out. Me and y boyfriend lik going out for dinner at weekend and now we don’t.When does it get easier because it feels like it won’t ever.

Was diagnosed in November and I'm actually finding it fine; a little bit of a routine a couple of times a day and the occasional trip to the doctors. Other than that, it means being a bit more selective when you go out for food but at least you soon realise there's a lot more out there than bread, pasta and chips!
Put it this way: if you think diabetes is controlling you, just be thankful you didn't get pregnant!

Reactions: lorna_fletcher

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On a slightly more serious note, what is is that would make you think of dropping out of college and why do you feel dining out is not an option? You may have to make adjustments, but 99% of life stays the same.

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was diagnosed in November and I'm actually finding it fine; a little bit of a routine a couple of times a day and the occasional trip to the doctors. Other than that, it means being a bit more selective when you go out for food but at least you soon realise there's a lot more out there than bread, pasta and chips!
Put it this way: if you think diabetes is controlling you, just be thankful you didn't get pregnant!

Just need to get my routine to how I like it I think maybe, thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You will find you get used to it. It has hardly affected my life at all. We go out for meals and I inject the Bolus at the table to match the carbs. I keep an eye on my blood sugar when I go the gym or do gardening etc. I check before I drive. None of these things stop me doing anything but are perhaps a nuisance. I assume you are on Basal/Bolus regime with two insulins? Have you been taught to carb count yet? The NHS make a bit of meal of this but it's dead easy and enables you to eat whatever you want. Too many carbs and you may gain weight but so would you if you didn't have diabetes. What things are worrying you?

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm newly diagnosed (just over 3 weeks too) and it's $*%! I've been struggling with it too - last few weeks of university, completely lost motivation but luckily got an extension my sugar is still a bit crazy so no idea when it sort out! Was 14 before bed, was reluctant to correct and glad I didn't as when I woke up it was 5! Such a ball ache! I feel your struggle!!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes we all hate it some days. But you can't let it take away all the things you like.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hang on in there. Things will improve. There is a lot to come to terms with. Use the forum to get you through challenging period

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a slightly more serious note, what is is that would make you think of dropping out of college and why do you feel dining out is not an option? You may have to make adjustments, but 99% of life stays the same.

Through stress if exams, graded unit & being diagnosed it is too much. As for dining out I don’t know what carbs I’m eating, I know it’ll take time and can do normal things but right not it is a struggle

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You will find you get used to it. It has hardly affected my life at all. We go out for meals and I inject the Bolus at the table to match the carbs. I keep an eye on my blood sugar when I go the gym or do gardening etc. I check before I drive. None of these things stop me doing anything but are perhaps a nuisance. I assume you are on Basal/Bolus regime with two insulins? Have you been taught to carb count yet? The NHS make a bit of meal of this but it's dead easy and enables you to eat whatever you want. Too many carbs and you may gain weight but so would you if you didn't have diabetes. What things are worrying you?

That’s good to hear it’s not effected you, I’m just wanting to not worry about low/high sugars all the time cause right now there never normal.

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm newly diagnosed (just over 3 weeks too) and it's $*%! I've been struggling with it too - last few weeks of university, completely lost motivation but luckily got an extension my sugar is still a bit crazy so no idea when it sort out! Was 14 before bed, was reluctant to correct and glad I didn't as when I woke up it was 5! Such a ball ache! I feel your struggle!!!

My sugars are all over place too and can’t seem to get carb counting right so I’m either taking to much insulin or too little, so annoying

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugars are all over place too and can’t seem to get carb counting right so I’m either taking to much insulin or too little, so annoying
Yeah it's so much effort! I'm phoning my nurse every few days telling her my readings and seeing what needs to be changed! I've not had the issue with too much *yet* (touchwood) but it's tough because my sugar is always high so I know I need more but they're so cautious about it all understandably! We'll get there eventually

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s good to hear it’s not effected you, I’m just wanting to not worry about low/high sugars all the time cause right now there never normal.

It’s early days. Don’t worry about your numbers and targets too much, you just want them to be stable for now. I’m 5 months in. I go to bed at 10/11 mmol sometimes. This is fine. We can tweak it gently as we go on. I spent my first 3 months obsessing over the 5-7 target and it made me go a bit crazy. Not worth it. Take a step back. Take a lungful of air and be thankful.

Also, don’t spend too much time on this forum as it’s full of perfectionists and very experienced t1’s ninjas. They’ve had years of tweaking.

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s early days. Don’t worry about your numbers and targets too much, you just want them to be stable for now. I’m 5 months in. I go to bed at 10/11 mmol sometimes. This is fine. We can tweak it gently as we go on. I spent my first 3 months obsessing over the 5-7 target and it made me go a bit crazy. Not worth it. Take a step back. Take a lungful of air and be thankful.

Also, don’t spend too much time on this forum as it’s full of perfectionists and very experienced t1’s ninjas. They’ve had years of tweaking.

Yeah I think I’m obsessing with the target range aswell! Thank you so much

Reactions: mountaintom

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The next 1-2 years are going to be challenging because your body is going to be going through changes and you will get frustrated with trying out what works for your body and learning what you are going to have to do on a day to day basis for the rest of your life. Then once all that is figured out and you take care of yourself it actually isn't that bad, it makes you stronger, you appreciate things and people more, you develop a whole slew of new and positive qualities and habits :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will not attain perfect numbers at the moment, as your body will still be adjusting. I kept a food and results diary my first year and looking back on it it was all over the show. Luckily I was under no pressure from anywhere to achieve the perfect results and I just learnt to live and manage this disease in my own time. 5 years on things are on an even keel.
Re eating out, I remember having a bit of a panic attack the first time I went out. My choice of eatery probably not the wisest. No problems now, as I can look at things and have a rough idea of carb content. That comes with day after day experience. One suggestion as a starting block is Nando’s, not the most gastronomic or romantic I know (and indeed I always stuck my nose up at it!) However, we eat there after going to the cinema, they have all their nutritional info on line to digest before going, and also in paper form in restaurant. Every time I eat there I am always bang on in range afterwards. It would get you used to eating in public and dealing with injections. Then you will start to feel more adventurous. Oh and I always have a glass of wine too!