Type 1 and braces

noraabdull

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone
i was diagnosed with type 1 recently and i'm already having my braces put on months ago , i'm kinda worried since uncontrolled blood sugar affect gums and teeth , and i still cant seem to get my numbers in range :( i'm starting to feel some kind of clicking in my teeth but i dont know if its from braces or diabetes hehe:(

whats your experience with braces ?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No experience but I'd give your dentist a call. As mine informed me, diabetes does indeed affect youre teeth although I think it'sd over a prolonged period of time.

Best to check it out with the proffessionals however.

Grant

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Braces at 28 years old and also T1 and all ok..

However, give your orthodontist a ring on Monday and just get checked.

I can remember snapping something on my brace at the back accidentally and it wasn't the elastic bands I had.

Things have changed a lot since I had mine, invisible braces had only just come out and I had to travel a 100 miles to see my orthodontist with mine.

Good luck..

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had braces about three years ago. The clicking in your teeth is most likely the braces moving your teeth, or just some of the bands/wires moving (I did manage to crunch a bracket off at one stage!) & nothing diabetic related. But it doesn't hurt to ring & check if you are worried.