Type 1 and eyesight

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Heloooo. I am getting increasingly frustrated with my eyesight being out of focus. I do wear glasses to read but not very strong, I am very recently diagnosed with type 1 and I understand that when blood sugar is high this does affect your vision and I have noticed I now have to use my reading glasses to see what is on my monitor as without them now it is just a blur. The point to this is my blood sugar is still high the lowest being 16.1 I spoke to my diabetic nurse and she said that I should wait before I get my eyes tested again. How long did you wait after being diagnosed before you had an eye test? I prob am too impatient I know and want everything right at one time, so the reason I am asking is that it may give me some idea of what I may have to do. I would greatfully appreciate any input to this.

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst you have changing glucose levels ie coming down from what were high levels on diagnosis you may have blurred vision.
When your glucose levels are high, the glucose in the fluids in your eyes also rises, to equalise levels more water is drawn into the eye through osmosis. This extra fluid distorts the shape of the lens and you have blurry vision or sight changes. As glucose levels fall the fluid level in the lens changes again , sometimes the shape distorting the other way and you can become very much more far sighted.

When I was diagnosed they brought my levels down very quickly (within days) and I could see for miles out the window but not watch the television as this seemed far too close . I normally have very low prescription lens for driving, perhaps use them for a small TV at night. When my levels were lowered, I couldn't even put them on without feeling dizzy.
In a few weeks they went back to almost what they were before, actually slightly better and that vision has remained.
In retrospect I think that my glucose levels were lowered a bit too quickly. There is some evidence that this abrupt change isn't good for eyes. A gradual reduction as seems to be happening with you may be better.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure how long it was after diagnosis that I got my eyes tested, as Phoenix explains elevated bg does effect the vision, until such times that you get your levels stabilised I would just buy a pair of cheap glasses from your local pharmacy to see you through.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you for the advice, now I see (oops pun) I will wait until there is more control over my BG levels. :thumbup: