Type 1 and fasting

jp619

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, this may sound like a bit of a daft question, so I apologise if it is. I'm really interested in trying a fast, so just trying to get the facts.

I'm type-1 diabetic. Are type-1 diabetics allowed to fast? Doesn't fasting evoke ketosis and ketones? Isn't that bad for a type-1 diabetic?

Thanks in advance,

jp619

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends ...

If your on separate basal and bolus insulins and can adjust your doses then fasting is possible. You will need to adjust dosing (no bolus) and possibly reduced basal insulin to ensure you don't have a hypo.
Ketones are OK in normal range but some people do not tolerate elevated ketones well.
High ketone concentrations are dangerous.

You need to make sure you stay well hydrated.

I suggest you talk with your support team first ...

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, fasting is possible - no one apart from you can decide if it is "allowed" - if you are on a basal bolus insulin regime and are able to adjust your insulin doses.
However, I find Dawn Phenomenon makes it challenging to manage my morning BG without eating something. I may only need to eat something small but if I don't my body thinks it is starving and will continue to dump glucose and my BG will continue to rise until I eat something. This is beyond the early morning dump - it is a continuous BG rise until I eat. Therefore, fasting will be a challenge for me.
If you do fast, you must be willing to break your fast if you experience a hypo.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are you thinking of fasting, days or hours? It's definitely possible with medication adjustments as required. You'll have to treat any hypos and try again in a day or 2.

Last edited:

jp619

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I was thinking of trying a 16-8 fast every day. Firstly to drop a few pounds, sort out a bit of high blood pressure, etc. I think that will take about a month. And then if it suits me do it now and again if the pounds start creeping on or I need a reset.

Kaydee59

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been doing a keto diet and have also managed a fast of 72 hours. When doing the keto diet, my blood sugar levels remain in target without the need to inject with meals. I do end up having to reduce my basal insulin. My diabetic consultant was happy for me to do the diet so long as my ketones were monitored and didn’t go higher than 2. I succeeded in losing 30kg in around 5 months.

• Winner
Reactions: coby

LancsCarol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Regular housework has to top the list, with nasty manipulative bullies coming a very close second - or maybe they are at the top....
Oh - and computers
My norm is to only have quite oat-milky decaff coffee most days until getting hungry, so meal approx 4-7pm, then snack before late bed.
Bolus altered as needed, basal 10 daily, 5 nightly.
When I wanted to lose weight, cut down on sweet stuff, crisps, potatoes, bread, and butter. More veg to fill up.
3.5 stones lost over 12months.
Medics have stopped arguing and accept it works for me.

divadiane

I do 8pm - 12pm fasting most days with just coffee in the morning. I use an insulin pump and so I have absolutely no issues with Ketoacidosis or Dawn Phenomenon. If you do Basal/Bolus as the others say, you may have to adjust some things.