• 50-100g per day

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • 100-150g per day

• 150-200g per day

• Total voters

alaska

For those of you with type 1 diabetes (or anyone with LADA on insulin) that are actively restricting their carbohydrate content for better diabetes control, how low carb is your typical day?

Please feel free to take part in the poll.

If you wish to reply and post detail -your daily carb intake together with your latest HbA1c for example- please also feel free.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @alaska, I'm currently on Very Low carb at about 25-30g per day. This primarily isn't to do with Diabetes, but in order to reduce body fat. I'm currently in a state of light Ketosis (around 1mmol/l blood Ketones) and I'll be keeping it up for a while while I bring my body fat levels down.

It does mean that i have some magnificently flat lines, but on about 180g of carbs a day, I still managed an Hba1C of 5.9%.

Reactions: 2 people

alaska

Hi @alaska, I'm currently on Very Low carb at about 25-30g per day. This primarily isn't to do with Diabetes, but in order to reduce body fat. I'm currently in a state of light Ketosis (around 1mmol/l blood Ketones) and I'll be keeping it up for a while while I bring my body fat levels down.

It does mean that i have some magnificently flat lines, but on about 180g of carbs a day, I still managed an Hba1C of 5.9%.

Do you find that protein and/or fat raise your sugar levels?

My experience is that:
  • Protein leads to an upwards rise between 3 and 5 hours after eating.
  • Fat more gradually increases sugar levels over a period of up to 8 hours after eating.

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tend to call myself moderate carb around 150g a day. My blood Sugers do not spike like they used to, l think this is due to the amount of protein and fat I put into my diet. My blood Sugers do increase but they increase a lot slower than when I was on high carbs and my blood suger control was not that tight . My blood Sugers tend to be below 9mmol a hour after a meal. Hba1c 63 or 7.9 I am currently working on getting this a lot lower. I call it work in progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to keep protein low or I will spike. I also need to add some fat to all meals to not spike. On the other hand too much fat will keep me higher longer. Delicate balance. I need to keep carbs very low as well. I could always eat more and split my bolus but that's too much hassle for me. I'm maintaining a good weight and good control so I'm not messing with the system.

I am however having a recent upward trend and insulin isn't carrying me the way it used to so I'm going to need to up my dose. I'm thinking it's the weather as we have just gotten quite warm and humid.

alaska

My HbA1c has been 6% for about the last 3 years. (It was actually as low as 5.3% before that but I think that was fuelled by too much time spent hypo -interestingly, that was when my cholesterol levels went very high)

My low carb quantity is in the 100-150g per day bracket. It has been lower in previous years.

The challenge for is the protein and fat. All calories will convert to blood sugar to some extent. The lower carb I go, the more I have concentrate on handling the fat and protein.

So I take a small dose before the meal and then need about as much (something less, sometimes more) as a secondary dose after meals to cope with the protein and fat. Sometimes I need to take a number of small doses because I've yet to fully crack the best way to deal with the fat, the protein and the varying rates of GI on different carbs, and the effects of mixing fat with carbs which lowers the GI too.

A hell of a lot to think about but I can't argue with the relatively low HbA1c (plus I try to avoid the hypos as much the highs).

Ed

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My experience is as follows:
  1. When eating VLC (<30g carbs per day) protein has a noticeable effect, and that starts to be noticed within an hour of consumption, even with high fat content. It lasts for around 3-5 hours. I identified this with the Libre. On MDI my strategy was a bolus on eating and then a further bolus two hours in. I bolused as though I was eating half the weight of carbs on the first and approximately half to two thirds of this on the second. On the pump, I use a multi/dual-wave bolus with the same upfront bolus and then the remainder over the next two hours.
  2. When not eating LC (100g+ per day) fat and protein have a kind of accelerant effect on carbs, in my experience. Highish protein combined with carbs and fat can really push glucose levels up quickly, which was unexpected, and then keep them there. Fried bread with Sausage and Egg is a classic example of this. Even though the carb plus protein amounts equate to what should work, I need twice as much insulin to stop it going up massively and then staying there, just in the pre-meal bolus. I also need add ons (either additional bolus or use of dual wave) to ensure late effects don't come into play. This is very much the Pizza effect, and is seen with Pizza, Fish and Chips, etc. Many of us have already established that multiple boluses are needed to handle this type of food.
  3. I can't say that I really get an effect from the Fats. I know that we're told that this should be 6-8 hours, and in most cases I've eaten again by that time, but if I look at overnight levels, I should in theory see a raise, which isn't there, so either I've got my basal rate set such that it accounts for this, or my fat conversion level isn't that high. If you consider that fat conversion is considered to be about 10% of fat intake in a meal, this makes sense on what I'm eating. As you only need 167g of fat to account for 60% of your daily calorific intake, it makes sense that I'd see little effect of fat on blood glucose, as, effectively I'd only be getting 16.7g of carbs from that across the entire day (although I know that isn't the physiological mechanism explanation).
There's an interesting recent paper here discussing how high fat, high carb meals can be addressed, and of course, there's also the Polish method for working with a pump, that @ewelina is far more of an expert on than me.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I low carb'd for the last ~7 weeks less than 30 g per day for the sole purpose of reducing body weight. As a result my running performance has improved significantly and I'm a bit quicker on the bike.

I went back to a higher carb diet recently including cakes ,chocolate bars the works. Previously I strictly low carb'd for 3 years but found out by accident I can tolerate more carbs in the evening.

Surprisingly I don't see much difference in my HBA1C results between low and higher carb. The last one was 4.7 (during low carbing) and prior to that 4.9 (higher carb intake).

alaska

I low carb'd for the last ~7 weeks less than 30 g per day for the sole purpose of reducing body weight. As a result my running performance has improved significantly and I'm a bit quicker on the bike.

I went back to a higher carb diet recently including cakes ,chocolate bars the works. Previously I strictly low carb'd for 3 years but found out by accident I can tolerate more carbs in the evening.

Surprisingly I don't see much difference in my HBA1C results between low and higher carb. The last one was 4.7 (during low carbing) and prior to that 4.9 (higher carb intake).

That's great Wurst. Were you diagnosed as type 1 as an adult? Was the diagnosis recent or have you had it for years and years?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's great Wurst. Were you diagnosed as type 1 as an adult? Was the diagnosis recent or have you had it for years and years?

Yep as an adult , @ 39 and only had it for 4 years, although no longer in my honeymoon period.

alaska

Same as I was until recently. MDI and monitoring with Verio

I'm trying to understand how you get an HbA1c under 5%.

On the one hand, you do a lot of exercise which will soak up any high sugar like a helpful sponge.

On the other hand, you may be consistently going hypo through the night and not be aware of it.

Since getting a Libre, I've found out that I'm going hypo through the night more often than I'd given credit for.

I currently wonder just how serious elongated mild hypos really are as, after all, extended periods of nocturnal hypoglycemia appears to be relatively normal in people without diabetes -see graph below
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769652/figure/fig2/

Graph comes from this study

Continuous Glucose Profiles in Healthy Subjects under Everyday Life Conditions and after Different Meals

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Same as I was until recently. MDI and monitoring with Verio

I'm trying to understand how you get an HbA1c under 5%.

On the one hand, you do a lot of exercise which will soak up any high sugar like a helpful sponge.

On the other hand, you may be consistently going hypo through the night and not be aware of it.

Since getting a Libre, I've found out that I'm going hypo through the night more often than I'd given credit for.

I currently wonder just how serious elongated mild hypos really are as, after all, extended periods of nocturnal hypoglycemia appears to be relatively normal in people without diabetes -see graph below
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769652/figure/fig2/

Graph comes from this study

Continuous Glucose Profiles in Healthy Subjects under Everyday Life Conditions and after Different Meals

A very interesting graph, however If I hypo during the night I wake up as I'm a very light sleeper. Also I can't get to sleep if my BS is too low and have excellent hypo awareness.

The last HbA1C was achieved with only 3-4 hypo's and loads of exercise. I cycle to work daily ~ 30 km's, strenuously row 4 times a week and run twice per week.

I aim to keep my BS between 4.4 mmol and 5.5 mmol at all times. A 4.7 % HbA1C is roughly equivalent to an average of 4.9 mmol, so almost dead center of target range.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience is as follows:
  1. When eating VLC (<30g carbs per day) protein has a noticeable effect, and that starts to be noticed within an hour of consumption, even with high fat content. It lasts for around 3-5 hours. I identified this with the Libre. On MDI my strategy was a bolus on eating and then a further bolus two hours in. I bolused as though I was eating half the weight of carbs on the first and approximately half to two thirds of this on the second. On the pump, I use a multi/dual-wave bolus with the same upfront bolus and then the remainder over the next two hours.
  2. When not eating LC (100g+ per day) fat and protein have a kind of accelerant effect on carbs, in my experience. Highish protein combined with carbs and fat can really push glucose levels up quickly, which was unexpected, and then keep them there. Fried bread with Sausage and Egg is a classic example of this. Even though the carb plus protein amounts equate to what should work, I need twice as much insulin to stop it going up massively and then staying there, just in the pre-meal bolus. I also need add ons (either additional bolus or use of dual wave) to ensure late effects don't come into play. This is very much the Pizza effect, and is seen with Pizza, Fish and Chips, etc. Many of us have already established that multiple boluses are needed to handle this type of food.
  3. I can't say that I really get an effect from the Fats. I know that we're told that this should be 6-8 hours, and in most cases I've eaten again by that time, but if I look at overnight levels, I should in theory see a raise, which isn't there, so either I've got my basal rate set such that it accounts for this, or my fat conversion level isn't that high. If you consider that fat conversion is considered to be about 10% of fat intake in a meal, this makes sense on what I'm eating. As you only need 167g of fat to account for 60% of your daily calorific intake, it makes sense that I'd see little effect of fat on blood glucose, as, effectively I'd only be getting 16.7g of carbs from that across the entire day (although I know that isn't the physiological mechanism explanation).
There's an interesting recent paper here discussing how high fat, high carb meals can be addressed, and of course, there's also the Polish method for working with a pump, that @ewelina is far more of an expert on than me.
I find the same thing which is the biggest reason I eat low carb ( the other is I don't digest them or large meals well) when I first started insulin and was only eating 20 c per meal I would hypo, then hyper and stay high. If I eat a lot ( well for me) of protein regardless of fat content I stay high and it's harder to get it down. Fat has very little effect on my bs. It is said it slows protein and carbs but the only fat I actually have found to do that is avocado. Oils, butter etc have no effect so I'm assuming it's all the fiber along with the fat. I need to keep protein on the low end or I would need to double bolus and I'm not interested in that on a daily basis. Nuts between meals don't raise me but they do stop me from coming back down.
Avocado has become my super food because it slows everything as well as keeps the rise lower. I do find it strange with protein that if I go up I stay up. At least avocado lessens the rise by a lot and allows me to come back down, all very slowly. I definitely have to watch my protein. It's the only food I still weigh but it works because I cook in bulk and freeze in my portions so all I do is defrost. I have many options of precooked food every day. All my raw veggies ar else chopped so all I do assemble what I'm in the mood for. Makes like much simpler and takes the stress of diabetes off my plate.

alaska

A very interesting graph, however If I hypo during the night I wake up as I'm a very light sleeper. Also I can't get to sleep if my BS is too low and have excellent hypo awareness.

The last HbA1C was achieved with only 3-4 hypo's and loads of exercise. I cycle to work daily ~ 30 km's, strenuously row 4 times a week and run twice per week.

I aim to keep my BS between 4.4 mmol and 5.5 mmol at all times. A 4.7 % HbA1C is roughly equivalent to an average of 4.9 mmol, so almost dead center of target range.

Shows the power of regular exercise. That's great to hear Wurst.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Do you have to bolus for exercise?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you have to bolus for exercise?

Yes, only in the mornings for cycling and running, otherwise DP kicks in and seems to be worse with moderate to strenuous exercise.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shows the power of regular exercise. That's great to hear Wurst.

Everyone should do it :) I dread the day I get an injury that prevents me from exercising for a prolonged period. I will lose all control then.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, only in the mornings for cycling and running, otherwise DP kicks in and seems to be worse with moderate to strenuous exercise.
How to do you know how much to bolus and then don't you go low later?
Morning is always worst for me