Type 1 and pregnant

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm moving your post to the pregnancy section. You'll find lots of interesting threads there and other Type 1s who are or have been pregnant :)

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How have u been haven't been on here for ages my mam passed away in may so heads been all over then I found out I was pregnant a week after the funeral xx

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
How have u been haven't been on here for ages my mam passed away in may so heads been all over then I found out I was pregnant a week after the funeral xx
Life's been good at mo coralkay12, but sad to hear your mam's died,life can be soo sad at times, remember the love she gave and the good times you shared.
Hey are you happy about your surprise? If you would like to pm me feel free coral, great to hear from you,clive

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got it down from 75 to 49 in 24 weeks and I'm pregnant so I think baby is repairing me and obvs my hard work xxx

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Congratulations, so pleased for you. The first thing is to enjoy your pregnancy, go to all your appointments, any worries or concerns get in touch with the hospital straight away and always ask any questions you may have and as your body changes, Insulin requirements will vary a lot. Just to say, I had my now teenager 15 years ago, aged 42 1/2 years, so a positive outcome and carry on doing what you are doing, good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice is to test lots. I found that was the best way to keep an eye on things and keep tight control.

Also, be prepared for hypos. Although these tend to happen in the early part of pregnancy, it's always wise to watch out for them and have hypo treatments around the house.

My final bit of advice is not to be freaked out at how much your insulin needs may increase in the second half of pregnancy. My basal almost tripled and my ratios were completely different. As someone who is normally very sensitive to insulin, it was quite a shock to have to take much bigger doses.

Best wishes :)