noraabdull

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello all :stop:
just got diagnosed with type 1 last week and i seem to experience a number of hypos during the last few days
and now that ramadan is here i'm worrying about how to manage hypos while fasting , sure thing i'll break my fasting but im looking for a way to reduce it occurrence .
skipped my insulin injection tonight just to prevent lows , not sure if its a smart thing to do :depressed:

for muslims diabetics , how you do you manage to get through ramadan peacefully ?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, with only being diagnosed last week you are possibly still in your honeymoon period so getting injection doses right will be difficult, have you been put on basal & bolus? Usually just your basal insulin would be fine if not eating as long as you are on the right dose but I'd recommend speaking to your diabetes team to see what advice they offer :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Dark Horse

just got diagnosed with type 1 last week and i seem to experience a number of hypos during the last few days
and now that ramadan is here i'm worrying about how to manage hypos while fasting , sure thing i'll break my fasting but im looking for a way to reduce it occurrence .
skipped my insulin injection tonight just to prevent lows , not sure if its a smart thing to do :depressed:

for muslims diabetics , how you do you manage to get through ramadan peacefully ?
Have you seen this leaflet? https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documen...adan/Ramadan-Factsheet-2016-English-Final.pdf

People with medical conditions do not have to fast. Obviously, as someone with type 1 - a serious medical condition - you can be exempted from fasting, particularly as you are newly diagnosed. Another possibility is to fast Mecca hours (dawn to dusk is much shorter there).Talk to your Imam about it - some people do additional charity work instead.

If you are really set on fasting you MUST speak to your diabetes team first.

Reactions: 6 people

noraabdull

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, with only being diagnosed last week you are possibly still in your honeymoon period so getting injection doses right will be difficult, have you been put on basal & bolus? Usually just your basal insulin would be fine if not eating as long as you are on the right dose but I'd recommend speaking to your diabetes team to see what advice they offer :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

yes im on basal/bolus treatment :) and sure, i'll contact them thank you for replying

Reactions: 2 people

noraabdull

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you seen this leaflet? https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Guide to diabetes/Ramadan/Ramadan-Factsheet-2016-English-Final.pdf

People with medical conditions do not have to fast. Obviously, as someone with type 1 - a serious medical condition - you can be exempted from fasting, particularly as you are newly diagnosed. Another possibility is to fast Mecca hours (dawn to dusk is much shorter there).Talk to your Imam about it - some people do additional charity work instead.

If you are really set on fasting you MUST speak to your diabetes team first.
thank you , i actually live in saudi arabia hehehe so the time factor isnt really a problem , or probably is since its 15 hours of fasting but anyways i'll make sure to contact the medical team and i wont be so hard on myself since im newly diagnosed , thanks once again

Reactions: 5 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you have just been diagnosed, I would be really quite cautious about fasting - it is a serious medical condition & you need a bit of experience and knowledge of managing your insulin in order to safely fast. Consider postponing the fast, or donating to cover food for a homeless person etc in lieu of fasting. Do discuss with you Imam, I'm sure they won't be expecting you to fast when you were diagnosed only a week ago - discuss other ways to observe Ramadan until you are more stable in your diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs

noraabdull as a diabetic you are not obligated to fast for ramadan or if you are in any state which may put your health at risk. As you are only a new/inexperienced diabetic you are putting yourself at great risk. As such I would greatly advise you do not fast until you have the experience in managing your condition safely. If you are fasting, you must ensure you test your blood glucose regularly (at least hourly) until you are confident your sugars are stable, break fast if your sugars drop below your normal hypo level or go above 15mmol and treat accordingly. It is not easy, I have been diabetic for 22 years, this is the first time I have tried to fast. So far I have stopped one fast at 7pm due to hypo.

In summary if you can maintain stable blood sugars in a safe range then continue - otherwise do not, you don't have to. Focus on managing your diabetes first and ramadan mubarak.