Type 1 and relationships

I'm new to this forum and hope this is the right place to ask these questions.
My boyfriend of several months has type 1 diabetes and sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed. He has reasonably good control and is very open to talking to me about his illness. I am always allowed to ask what the meter says when he measures, he uses a freestyle and even showed me how to take a reading in case I ever find him unconscious or fear of him having a hypo while sleeping. I know how to use the glucagon shot and know where it is.
I have witnessed a couple of moderate hypos and generally they passed quickly without any severe mood changes on his part nor with any significant amount of anxiety on my part. I think by now I have more emergency carbohydrate rations that fit in my hand bag than I actually have handbags to fit them in (mainly small cans of regular soda and dextrose). Generally in day to day life everything is fine and I feel safe and confident enough that I could act in an emergency. However sometimes his values are too high or too low for little to no apparent reason (a few weeks back he had an ear infection that caused a few highs). He says, and I completely trust him on this, that this is just what will happen every once in a while and because he regularly checks his values and corrects on time its no reason to worry. But sometimes I can't help but be rather scared or worried for him, especially when values are high. I'm a little scared to show or tell him when his values worry or scare me because obviously its his body thats on the rollercoaster ride not mine. Are there any partners of T1Ds here that have similar feelings? How do you cope with them?
Sometimes I can also tell that it really frustrates him when values are low or high, especially if this persists for a few hours. I always feel an urge to help and support him when this happens, but I know that practically, aside from getting something to eat from the kitchen, there is nothing I can do. I have asked him whether there is something I can do to help him on hyper/hypo situations and he said that there is nothing for me to do most of the time. None the less I can't help wishing that I could take some of that feeling of being alone and frustrated away from him. Is there anything you have found helps in a partnership in these situations? What do you like your spouse to do when tight control seems difficult, the diabetes is frustrating you or things are just generally being a bit of a pain?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I just need my partner to be available in scary times.
I think action takes over, for survival so a hug can sometimes seem unwanted in the time of the scare but afterwards hugs work for me. ;)

D

Deleted Account

It's great that you care about your partner and his diabetes. And it is great that you are so willing to learn and help.

Your questions about what to do when stable control is difficult and diabetes is frustrating is not a diabetes question: it is a general relationship question. What do you do when anything in his life is frustrating? What would you do if he was turned down for a job or his car broke down or he was cooking a lovely meal for you and he forgot to defrost the fish beforehand?

Whether we have diabetes or not, we all respond differently to support, sympathy and frustration. Diabetes is just part of your partner that you treat like any other part of him.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JustWanted2Know ,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your boyfriend has briefed you in the event of an emergency.

Wishing you & your fella all the best, & a happy future!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspect your anxiety of his high levels will subside over time.....

It is normal to get highs and lows from time to time through life for a variety of reasons.....as long as he knows how to deal with it there wont/shouldn't be any long term damage....

My wife knows all about the diabetes and my journey through it so far.....ultimately though it isn't at the fore front of our lives as I do what I need to do without any input from anyone else.....there's a good chance she forgets I actually have diabetes......at least until the appointment letters come in or I have forgot to do some housework....;)

leahkian

Hi there i think you are doing a wonderful job at supporting your partner, even though he has diabetes it will effect both of you.If he is open about his diabetes then that's fine but if you find that you want more information on diabetes then you are in the right place here. I have had partners in the past but none of them have lasted and i now have my 2 children living with me and they have watched me be a diabetic and then have a double transplant so i am free of diabetes for a while. They are now 12 and 14 years old and seen me in hospital more than they should but i tell them if they want to no anything about diabetes to just ask as when i had the transplant i told them every thing they wanted to no. I do admit that if you are not well your blood levels can be high but your boyfriend seems to be doing fine and we do get grumpy if our levels are not as good as we hoped for, it is not a personal thing it just us. Like i said when you are on here you can ask about any diabetic topic and if your partner has regular check ups ans if you can go along because diabetes does not effect one person its effects everyone who is close to that person.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes you just get high or low for no reason, even if you otherwise have good control and put effort into your management. It's great that you are interested in helping him. Just being understanding is probably the best thing you can do. Sometimes blood sugar will affect his mood, or what activities he can do, so just being there for him when that happens is helpful. You are already doing this, but just wanted to say that carrying supplies for him is super helpful. When I go places I always take hypo treatments, and I never feel safe unless I have about a million different things with me to treat a low. Knowing that you have some sugar for him in case of emergencies probably makes him feel more secure.