Type 1 and Vitamin b12

CassieSmith

Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic, I just had my b12 levels check and they come back at level 264 when I know normal range is inbetween 200 and 900. I am still feeling symptoms especially fatigue. Was wondering if there was somehow a way to go back to docs and request to get injections but would they refuse as mine are "normal" even though I do not feel that way?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski yes full blood count came back all "normal" apparently!
I think @DCUKMod has more information in regards to fatigue, vitamin b12 and thyroid.
Could you ask for the breakdown of your results so you can have a look and possibly highlight it, I know the word normal is quite subjective.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CassieSmith - Your B12, whilst in range is very close to the bottom of the range (as you know). In my experience, a blood result being "in range" is often really only a small part of the overall picture. Unfortunately, most elements of our blood panels have optimum ranges. Really I would urge you to get a print out of your results, or to view them online, so that you can see where you are on the various assay ranges, and do some reading.

Personally, were I in your shoes, I would feel I woud like to bring that scorrer up somewhat. For instance, my last B12 came back at 334, on a lab range of 220 - 700. On that score, I have begun a Vitamin B complex tablet, which I've been taking for about 3 months. I'm about due for a retest. That said, I have issues with my thyroid, and for our thyroids to work well, our viatmins need to be at decent levels.

Cassie, a symptom of low vitamin B12 is fatigue, but fatigue is a symptom of so, so many issues - some more worrying than others.

Unfortunately, these days we need to be our own health advocates, and be proactive in oder to achieve what we need.

Once you know your full results, I'm sure will be plenty members able to help a bit more.

CassieSmith

@DCUKMod @MeiChanski hi I just looked at my blood rest results online every other part looked fine except this section! Confusing though as I already take iron sulphate and sometimes drink this iron liquid..

Attachments

• 20190815_105132.jpg
    20190815_105132.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 226

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod @MeiChanski hi I just looked at my blood rest results online every other part looked fine except this section! Confusing though as I already take iron sulphate and sometimes drink this iron liquid..

@CassieSmith - In your shoes I'd be having a chat with the Doc. Those numbers might be in range, but they're pretty low in the ranges. If it were me, I'd want them a bit higher to see how it went from there.#

What was your Vitamin D like?

CassieSmith

@DCUKMod I have just been googling about vitmain D. Annoyingly, I'll have to go back to get that checked as it wasn't included in the full blood count. I did get checked for vitmain D about 3 years ago and it was borderline then apparently. I just bought a vitamin D mouth spray off Amazon I may buy some pills too. I know some people reccomend an occasional sunbed visit for vitamin D benefits but I know there is alot of risks when it comes to those also

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod I have just been googling about vitmain D. Annoyingly, I'll have to go back to get that checked as it wasn't included in the full blood count. I did get checked for vitmain D about 3 years ago and it was borderline then apparently. I just bought a vitamin D mouth spray off Amazon I may buy some pills too. I know some people reccomend an occasional sunbed visit for vitamin D benefits but I know there is alot of risks when it comes to those also

If you are going to supplement your VitD, please make sure it's D3, and take K2 with it. The K2 essentially "makes it work better".

To be honest, I wouldn't go down the sunbed route. Notwithstanding the potential damage to your skin, Vitamin D created by taking the sun can be washed off.

I spent a couple of months in SE Asia earlier this year. I had my Vit D tested a little while before we went, the when I came back and there was little difference in my score (101-108). I was a bit puzzled. I had paused the supplement when I went away as I knew I would be exposed to the glorious sunlight and heat evert day. I learned about the washing off bit when I did some reading.

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/#.XVWQSOj0mt8

Reactions: CassieSmith