Type 1 at 6 months old

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiotic people, know it alls who know nothing, lazy home educators!
:dummy:Hi everyone
Just wondered if there were any parents of diabetic babies out there, our son has just been diagnosed type 1 at only 6 months old and even our lovely nurses only have parents of children over 1 to talk to us about and there's such a big difference in a 6 month old and a 1 year old. He's just got a pump fitted after a few weeks of injecting, but testing is still so upsetting for all if us having to do it every couple if hours and not being able to explain why to him, weaning has gone to pot after our long hospital stay too and now I'm scared and not sure where to start with moving forward, :dummy:
Hi, my son is now 4.5 and was diagnosed at 11months. I know your baby is a bit younger but if you want a chat, you're welcome to message me. He has a pump and cgm.

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey,

Wasn't sure how to word my starting sentance to you because diabetes has made me the person who I am today. Strong, open minded and can adjust easily, after all you have too.

I've been diabetic from I was 2.5 years old. I'm now 21. I've struggled with it at times but I got a insulin pump 4 years ago.

From that I've had my wonderful boy, Ethan who's two next month and on Halloween night aged 16 months. He was close to DKA as I took him to hospital with high sugars a month before and they told me I was being an over protective mother and to stop worrying the chances he would get it off me were 2-5%. And long behold my baby was cursed with this chronic illness. He's adjusted so so well gives you his hand to do sugars, tries to tell me when he's low and acts up when he's high.

On December 9th he was given the same insulin pump as me accu chek spirit combo. I worried he would pull it, hate getting canulas in etc. But nope my little solider doesn't blink an eyelid. He gets on with normal toddler life. He doesn't let it affect him.

I'm sure your struggling but it gets easier, well as easy as it can. ( there's always a struggle). But I've never known Any different and now your baby has the pump he doesn't have to be because you just count his carbs. Weigh everything. Carbs and kal book are my bible lol.

Not sure if I've helped but thought I'd share our story.

You should get a pump bag made. We got PawPatrol

Best wishes xx
Aww I make my son's pump pouches - so much cheaper!!

Reactions: Kate143

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Craftyjack123

Our daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 8 months. We are currently working out her insulin regime and so forth. We are doing injections, using a CGM and are hearing conflicting views on the use of an insulin pump at such a young age. I gather from your post that you are using one, and I was wondering how you are getting on with it. We would appreciate any information. Not easy to find people with experience of type-1 at such a young age.

Best wishes

Ejayhk
Hi, the pump is better for younger babies and children as it can deliver smaller amounts of insulin than the injections. Babies may not eat enough for the smallest insulin dose by pen and would be likely to have a hypo. My son was diagnosed at 11 months so feel free to message me for a chat if you want to

Reactions: azure

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My LO was diagnosed in July at 15 months, my OH is also T1, the team say we are the youngest they've had so can only imagine how unusual it is for such a young baby to be diagnosed. Feel free to message if you need to talk :)

Ejayhk

Thanks for the replies and offers of help. Sorry for delay in responding. Very busy time! We are really wondering about the practicalities of a 9 month old baby having a pump attached to her all day, in terms of her trying to pull at it, or bumping it when crawling etc. One of the doctors we saw said there can be issues with pumps clogging if they are delivering such a tiny amount of insuin at a a time, whereas most other sources say this is exactly what pumps are good at doing. Any information or experiences of starting an infant on a pump would be really appreciated. Thanks, and best wishes to you all.