Type 1 bladder problems

Markuktype1

Hi all,i am really suffering at the moment,i spent most of my life drinking and being drunk,& now i dont drink at all,well cant even if i wanted to,my bladder is so weak now,& believe with all the drink it has gave me bad problems with my bladder,as in type 1 diabeties problems,it is making my sleeping pattern stop me sleeping as everynight i have to pee twice before my body will let me go to sleep,i have to now stop drinking at 8p.m,but still am having problems,i take oxybuitinan with help,but believe its getting worse.
Is there anyone else who has this problem.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,i am really suffering at the moment,i spent most of my life drinking and being drunk,& now i dont drink at all,well cant even if i wanted to,my bladder is so weak now,& believe with all the drink it has gave me bad problems with my bladder,as in type 1 diabeties problems,it is making my sleeping pattern stop me sleeping as everynight i have to pee twice before my body will let me go to sleep,i have to now stop drinking at 8p.m,but still am having problems,i take oxybuitinan with help,but believe its getting worse.
Is there anyone else who has this problem.
Have you seen a doctor about your problems? How are your blood sugars? High blood sugars will make you pee a lot.
I didn't get any results for oxybuitinan on a google search, can you check the name of the medication you take again?

Markuktype1

Have you seen a doctor about your problems? How are your blood sugars? High blood sugars will make you pee a lot.
I didn't get any results for oxybuitinan on a google search, can you check the name of the medication you take again?
I went to see the doctors and they were basically saying that it could be years of having diabeties,cause of your nerve endings breaking down,so they gave me the drug oxybutynin (ditropan)5mg tablets
My diabeties nurses say my bloods and hba1c are fine,which there not bad,i have quite a few hypos.
I just am sick of feeling like if i look at a drink i pee like mad,ive tried drinking cordial with water,just water,as they told me not to have pepsi-max,and cut down on my caffeine intake.
But basically there saying my bladder is not working properly cause of diabeties complications

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But basically there saying my bladder is not working properly cause of diabeties complications

Diabetes complications can sometimes be reversed (or at least stopped from progression) by improving your blood sugars.

I assume you are taking this

Ditropan (Oxybutynin Tablets): Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Interactions, Warning (rxlist.com)

If you are T1 and need to improve your bgs then we can give advice, depending on your insulin regime. (Though we can't give specific dosing advice). Hypos are the bane of any T1's life and we may be able to make suggestions to minimise these too. What's your latest hba1c?

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a PSA test done recently? It's for your prostrate.
I mentioned, in passing to my GP, that my first trip to the toilet in the morning seemed a little harder than others and two months later diagnosed, four months later it was removed.
Best to check.

Reactions: Ley666 and EllieM

Markuktype1

Yes thats the tablets im taking for my bladder problem.
My last hba1c they said was 50,which aparently should be from 50-53 if im correct.
The only problem i seem to be having at the mo,is that inhave dawn phenomon in the morning,my blood sugars rise allways in the morning,i have to keep jabing units in the morning to stop it rising.
Im thinking of in 2021 when i can see my diabeties practioner face to face os to have an omnipod pump

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

Markuktype1

Yes thats the tablets im taking for my bladder problem.
My last hba1c they said was 50,which aparently should be from 50-53 if im correct.
The only problem i seem to be having at the mo,is that inhave dawn phenomon in the morning,my blood sugars rise allways in the morning,i have to keep jabing units in the morning to stop it rising.
Im thinking of in 2021 when i can see my diabeties practioner face to face os to have an omnipod pump
My morning bloods and ive only had a coffe,and jabbed myself,its rising usually by its self before eating,aparently the dawn phenomonem
20201225_111812.jpg

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oxybutynin: MedlinePlus Drug Information
medlineplus.gov › Drugs, Herbs and Supplements

Oxybutynin is used to treat overactive bladder (a condition in which the bladder muscles contract uncontrollably and cause frequent urination, urgent need to urinate, and inability to control urination) control urgent, frequent, or uncontrolled urination in people who have overactive bladder (a condition in which the ...

The only things I would say are yes push for a pump because you can then adjust for Dawn rises on an hourly basis (cortisol driving your liver to release glucose) . Once my sugar has risen I find it hard to nudge down again without over correcting.
2. I hope your drugs are helping your problem but I'd be concerned about your kidneys if you are with holding fluids. If you restrict fluids your bladder simply adjusts and has a new lower threshold for needing to empty so I don't think that will benefit. Cutting potential irritants like caffeine seems sensible though.
3 Keep pushing for a solution (could be the pump to get more even sugars across the day or more time 'in range') and don't be fobbed off by vague talk of nerve dammage which is a lazy doctors's way of saying 'I do not know' IMO!! It is okay for doctors not to know but they should admit it and be curious to prove or disprove a diagnosis.

Markuktype1

Oxybutynin: MedlinePlus Drug Information
medlineplus.gov › Drugs, Herbs and Supplements

Oxybutynin is used to treat overactive bladder (a condition in which the bladder muscles contract uncontrollably and cause frequent urination, urgent need to urinate, and inability to control urination) control urgent, frequent, or uncontrolled urination in people who have overactive bladder (a condition in which the ...

The only things I would say are yes push for a pump because you can then adjust for Dawn rises on an hourly basis (cortisol driving your liver to release glucose) . Once my sugar has risen I find it hard to nudge down again without over correcting.
2. I hope your drugs are helping your problem but I'd be concerned about your kidneys if you are with holding fluids. If you restrict fluids your bladder simply adjusts and has a new lower threshold for needing to empty so I don't think that will benefit. Cutting potential irritants like caffeine seems sensible though.
3 Keep pushing for a solution (could be the pump to get more even sugars across the day or more time 'in range') and don't be fobbed off by vague talk of nerve dammage which is a lazy doctors's way of saying 'I do not know' IMO!! It is okay for doctors not to know but they should admit it and be curious to prove or disprove a diagnosis.
Thanks nicole for your usefull information,its tough because you get told one thing,& there seems to be a lot of other things out there to help with problems.
As soon as i can actually go into my diabetic apointments as they have been on the phone,in gonna get the omnipod pump.
Hopefully thia will change my life a bit,foe the better

Reactions: NicoleC1971