Type 1 Chat

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey matt ,
Nice to meet you , I've had diabetes 17 years as I've posted a lot on the thread lol , I'm also on lantus and novo rapid .
It's a shame you feel like your still struggling , what is your current hba1c :)
I've never really had good control. I think my last a1c was around 9.

D

Deleted member 83869

That stinks but there saying type one is sometimes vetter than two yea we have it longer but we have a healthy lifestyle they mainly get it from already having health problems. I truly believe if you manage it youllbe fine like everyone else ...I kno people who have had it forever and didnt take care of it and their fine.
Yeah I just recently did DAFNE again this week and we had 2 guys there one had had it 42 years and another 33 years or something and they are both fine!

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As well as the thinking about the pump what about levemir??
Nurse has said I won't get pump until a1c improves, I asked about a different long acting she said it probably isn't that, that needs changing. I use bolus calculator the ratios seem to work sometimes other times have total opposite effect, I get told it's me not doing it properly, I been on same insulins for 10+ years I'm convinced I need a change.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Nurse has said I won't get pump until a1c improves, I asked about a different long acting she said it probably isn't that, that needs changing. I use bolus calculator the ratios seem to work sometimes other times have total opposite effect, I get told it's me not doing it properly, I been on same insulins for 10+ years I'm convinced I need a change.
Really?? My hba1c was 11 when I got the pump! What dose are you on for lantus??

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really?? My hba1c was 11 when I got the pump! What dose are you on for lantus??
Really! I was told it had to be down to like 6 I think before they would consider one, I had one when I was a teenager, but stopped cos I could never get site in properly. 12 units a day, if I go up I go low all the tome, my ratios are pretty high as well, 1:20 in the day when I'm asleep and 1:35 at night at work, I can go low even using the 1:35 one.

D

Deleted member 83869

Really! I was told it had to be down to like 6 I think before they would consider one, I had one when I was a teenager, but stopped cos I could never get site in properly. 12 units a day, if I go up I go low all the tome, my ratios are pretty high as well, 1:20 in the day when I'm asleep and 1:35 at night at work, I can go low even using the 1:35 one.
Have they ever thought about metformin?? To be honest I reckon levemir could be better as it's split! And I guess it depends on the areas but I managed to get a pump but I was told just this week on dafne that the NICE are guidelines but there are other exceptions! Where do you live?

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have they ever thought about metformin?? To be honest I reckon levemir could be better as it's split! And I guess it depends on the areas but I managed to get a pump but I was told just this week on dafne that the NICE are guidelines but there are other exceptions! Where do you live?
Never mentioned metformin. I used to split Lantus but kept missing the evening one. Yeah I know guidelines and that are different for different areas, im in Surrey, it comes under Surrey and West Sussex NHS, something like that anyway. Where bouts are you?

D

Deleted member 83869

Never mentioned metformin. I used to split Lantus but kept missing the evening one. Yeah I know guidelines and that are different for different areas, im in Surrey, it comes under Surrey and West Sussex NHS, something like that anyway. Where bouts are you?
I think levemir could help you or maybe even metformin! Just set alarms for levemir! And I live in London!

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh wow , how has it been growing up knowing no different , to be fair I was diagnosed at 7 but can't say I remember to much with out the diabetes lol.
Yeah I can imagine you must of put a lot of hard work in to get it so low , must be very happy. :)

It's been alright to be honest. I'm sort of glad I was diagnosed at a younger age rather than in my teens because by the time I was starting to realize what I had it was the same old stuff to me. I was used to not always being able to have sweets/chocolate all the time or drinking sugary drinks which was fine by me. I can never remember a time without diabetes. I also never went through the phases of denial that some people go through when diagnosed a bit older although I went through that with Epilepsy and it was awful!

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very true im thankful too because the older you get it people get complications because they dont wanna change there ways alot.

Reactions: 2 people

neil17uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!! I'm 17 and was diagnosed 11/02/16 after going into a DKA!! Looking for tips and people to chat too!