Type 1: Chinese Takeaway

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know chinese food is full of bad fats and sugars but is there any dishes I should avoid entirely? Or what dishes are best to keep to.

Unfortunately my father eats only certain dishes i.e chicken curry sweet and sour chow mein egg fried rice chop suey which at a guess is very poor for a type 1 diabetic.

SamCNatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sweet and sour sauce and honey lemon sauce are full of sugar.
Fried rice is very high carb and fat.
Go for something with loads of veges and unbattered meat. Chicken cashew nuts and beef ginger would be my picks, they are basically stir fries.

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet and sour sauce and honey lemon sauce are full of sugar.
Fried rice is very high carb and fat.
Go for something with loads of veges and unbattered meat. Chicken cashew nuts and beef ginger would be my picks, they are basically stir fries.
Thanks for advice.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually just have crispy duck.. no sauce no pancakes wrap in lettuce leaves to replace pancakes.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whatever you choose @David Wass make sure you test afterwards to see how it affects your blood sugar. This will also help if you choose the same meal in future as you'll know if your carb count and bolus calculation was correct.

Count the carbs in the rice/noodles as accurately as you can, and then assess how many carbs are in the sauce with your main meal.

I usually test at 1, 2 and 3 hours after so I can make sure my bolus was right.