type 1 diabetes and car insurance

sweetjules

Hi I am new to the diabetes forum, but I have been a type 1 diabetic for many years. PLEASE could anyone give me advice on a good car insurance that deals with diabetes and does not cost an arm and a leg. I have recently been looking for upgrading my car as I have had mine for many years and always stayed with the same insurers. I feel now I need to shop around but quotes on insurance websites do not ask about medical conditions. PLEASE HELP.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I was with elephant.co.uk for years with no complaints at all. I went with them primarily because they really were cheapest at the time, by quite a large margin, and I was looking for a multi-car policy with just me driving (I had 3 at the time). They never asked any health questions and this is significant - some companies do not, because health is not a factor on their underwriting criteria which is great. HOWEVER, if you ARE asked (either online or by phone), then FAIL to disclose it, and subsequently make a claim (or someone claims against you) all the usual "no insurance" troubles will follow, and follow you around for years to come.

When I had my hypo while at the wheel, elephant were fantastic and dealt with everything exactly as they should, which was such a relief at the time. Can't recommend them highly enough.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello sweetjules,

It's probably best to sign up over the phone, rather than online. You need to make absolutely sure that the company has taken note of the fact that you're diabetic, so that they can't use it as an excuse not to pay up in the future.

Although they will need to know that you're diabetic, I'm pretty sure that car insurance companies aren't allowed to discriminate against diabetics (charge higher premiums) unless they've previously had an accident which has been specifically attributed to their diabetic control.

All the best,
timo.

jopar

Kegs..

Elephant do now ask health questions, my daughter insured with them, I rang them in May to sort out her insurance for her... And was asked loads of question including the health ones.. But I agree they do seem good... She not diabetic but new driver, and and she could have fully comp a lot cheaper than my insurance company offered for 3rd party fire and theft... And that was my companies deal as she already on my car insurance policy!

Timo

Yes in theory insuance companies aren't supposed to discriminate against diabetics, in reality this means that they can't cancel your exsisting policy because you become a diabetic! I've found that most of the companies offering cheap deals, don't except medical conditions at all... And companies that can and do give higher quotes as soon as you mention diabeties...

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Oh dear, thanks for clearing that up Jo, I guess they've had a change of heart since my episode a few years back, I did cost them rather a lot of money, certainly much more than I'd paid in premiums over the years, oops...

And before anyone asks the question, I no longer drive, having surrendered my licence within 24 hours of my accident.

Fujifilm

I may be wrong, but I thought same as Timo that insurance company''s were no longer allowed to discriminate and therefore premiums should not be higher just because you are diabetic.

I just did a check on a well known comparison site and put first no DVLA medical conditions, then DVLA unrestricted, then DVLA 3 year restricted. All quotes were the same. :D

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
when i first passed my driving test many years ago the insurance was loaded then came the Disability Discrimination act and insurance companies are no longer allowed to load your premium. you must tell them and you must inform Swansea, you will only get a 3 year licence but it is pretty hassle free renewing it.

Lorna

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you have a problem, contact Diabetes UK. they can often help with this sort of difficulty.
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
TRy Diabetes Uk for help, they're good at that sort of Query
Hana

Dave37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Halifax Bank don't ask, made a point of telling me they don't take it into account.

sweetjules

THANKYOU for all your help and advice concerning car insurance. I checked quotes on line and rang individual companies to tell them of my diabetes. DVLA have full information of my condition, I have my licence for 3 years and checked without problems. The car insurance have verbal information of my diabetes and it is documented at no extra cost so hopefully that is it and I am covered. THANKYOU AGAIN TO EVERYONE. HAPPY DRIVING.