Type 1 diabetes and mental health problems

AliceO1999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with type one 8 years ago when I was 10 years old. Since about April/ may this year I started experiencing depression. Since then it has gradually got worse. Now I'm at the point where I'm struggling with it a lot. I'm lacking motivation to care for my type 1 like i used to. Btw my type 1 set off my depression. Has anybody else experienced this before?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. @AliceO1999 - I haven't experienced anything like that myself, but I'm also T2.

The sort of thing you describe has been described on the forum before. Mental health challenges alongside diabetes is very common.

I appreciate that may not help you feel any better, but my post will have pushed your thread back to the top of the recent posts lists, so more in sight.

In the meantime, I wonder if you've got a bit of burnout going on. There's a long thread about that here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-1-burnout.82361/#post-923962

I do hope you start feeling a bit brighter soon.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AliceO1999 . Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your struggles. There is a sub forum dealing with mental and emotional issues. I'll tag @tiredoftrying2017 I think she gave some good advice recently to someone else.
Perhaps you could ask @DCUKMod to move your post to the other site if you want.
Sorry can't help more.

Reactions: AliceO1999

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your tag @therower .

@AliceO1999 - If you would like me to move your thread to this area of the forum, I can do that if you let me know. If you'd prefer it left in T1, that's absolutely fine too.

Dars

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's quite common to have spouts of depression with diabetes, also to lose lack of concern for your health. Don't be scared to speak to your gp about this, and seek help from your diabetes team. There's plenty both can do to help. Maybe speaking to a therapist may help? Which your gp should be able to help. I've been through short stages like this myself at times in my life, so I understand how it gets to you. Hope that helps

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also have been through short phases of this so please don't feel like you are alone. The best advice I can give (along side talking to your doctor) is have a look on Facebook and see if there is a meet up group near you. Talking face to face with other people who are going through the same things really helped me. With the Internet it is easy to get the impression that everybody else is perfect, eating the perfect diet, testing all the time and never straying outside the limits. I can guarantee you that isn't the case and sometimes we just need to share the load with someone else ( or just to listen without judgement) . It also helped me get back on the wagon as I picked up several good tips and ideas.

Jason_Avoneg

There is a link between T2 and depression and from the limited research I've done in the past it appears to be around serotonin synthesis and other hormone imbalances that would generally come with being overweight, for example reduced testosterone in men.

But if you're not giving yourself enough insulin it's fair to say you'll feel sluggish in general and it may lead to a reduced synthesis of serotonin (happy hormone).

I've actually been through the wars with mental issues :) and have a condition, I'd rather not spill my guts out here publicly.

Though do feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to talk and advise if I can.

I like you lost the will to take care of my diabetes and my wake up call was as I could feel doing myself damage like random sensations / pains which could of been my nerves complaining for an average hba1c of 9.5%...

Fortunately ive been addressing that, but anyway life can be a right struggle, no matter how bleak it all seems I've learnt there's always tomorrow and a big wide world out there...so easy for me to say it probably seems but I do get where you're coming from.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @AliceO1999 It's more common that most realise that depression goes hand in hand with type 1.

I went through a period after diagnosis of it and struggled, I noticed that when my blood sugars were unstable that the knock on effect impacted my mood greatly, a doctor advised me that keeping good control as well as stable blood glucose levels would help and that's been my mantra since, the yo yo effect doesn't help at all as well as running high, it can heighten anxiety. How are your blood glucose levels in general ?

Other things that have helped me, is actually to help others, if you can get involved in volunteering, fund raising that type of activity it helps, as well as exercise or doing an enjoyable activity, living mindfully in the present helps too, so if you're eating a meal, eat it with out any distractions and chew your food more slowly, if you go for a walk take some time to breathe properly, enjoy the view, and also talk to others about how you are feeling, perhaps write a diary. Do remember that depression is temporary, it will pass, it's not a constant, but finding a way to manage your feelings and cope better will help this to pass.

Reactions: AlexJD

leahkian

Aliceo1999 i got type one when i was 3 and have had it for 36 years and have suffered with depression on and off since i was 18. Diabetic are more prone to depression due to the constant ups and downs. Step 1 this is not your fault and you need some help, i think you should go to you GP'S and ask them for some help coping. They may give you some tablets to take and then arrange a visit to a mental health team who will try and give you the support you need. You can also tell your diabetes team as most of them have someone who job it is to deal with diabetes and depression. People who do not have diabetes cannot see the mental side of the illness but sharing your problems is the way forward. My parents say that i am a very deep person who only talks when i hit rock bottom and they are right. I have my 2 children who live with me so i am a good actor as well but a least once a month i see someone from the mental health team and just talk about how i have felt, i find it more easy to talk to someone who is not connected to my family. Please seek help and do not let it get any worse, if you would like to talk to me just drop me a line and i will listen. good luck

Reactions: Juicyj

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 12 (5 years ago) and had depression from the age of 13. Which seems so young when I look back. My motivation dropped everyone called be a “bad diabetic because my sugar level was always high due to lack of testing and injecting. I totally understand how your feeling it’s hard because you know the Diabetes is never going away. Just set yourself small goals with your Diabetes or simple everyday tasks. It’s a long slow process to try and feel like your getting back on track. I’m still getting there just remember it will never be perfect just manageable. Hope that helps x

Reactions: Juicyj