Type 1 Diabetes/Constipation/Fibre??

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Despite putting myself on a largely plant-based diet, but with animal protein as well as other proteins, I have found in recent weeks, increasing problems with constipation! I have usually thought that the main answer is increasing fibre intake, but I know that with this plant-based diet, I have been having lots of fibre. Plants are insoluble fibre I think?
Also, exercise we are told helps, and ensuring hydration.
I do not think I lack any of these approaches...so, what is happening?
I have had small insulin needs since diagnosis in April, take 4 units of Levemir in the morning, and usually only about 2 units or less for each meal. Sometimes I manage without any bolus meal time insulin at all because of the foods I choose.
Previously I was always very 'regular' but did have particularly in recent years, muesli or bran or stuff of that nature, believing it was a healthy breakfast option.
But changing to this plant based breakfast, and more of plant stuff in general for meals, my bowel movements have not only changed but almost stopped!
Why when plants have a lot of fibre?
When I have had bowel movements, the stools have (eventually on emergence!) been hard and like bullets. I see no evidence of blood, but the stools are dark and somewhat sticky. I have had to remove at times myself... just to ensure some evacuation...
I have recently been reading a book called 'Fibre Menace' which recommends have less, not more fibre, and the author says that in fact having more fibre may help in the short term, but in the long term can trigger very serious diseases such as diverticulitis. The extra fibre actually makes the stools more bulky he says, and therefore more difficult to pass, and the straining can damage the anal canal to the point of damaging functioning even more...
Does anyone have any recommendation as to how I can deal with this so that I don't make my problems worse? I have yet to go to my GP because I think they will simply suggest more fibre...…..and that approach simply goes against what I genuinely now think is helpful?
Be grateful for any informed advice!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure why that is happening, but a safe way to help would be to take magnesium. Magnesium citrate is best, usually at least 400 mg.

Fiber is usually considered very good for you, but if you aren't going, fiber can just keep backing up behind everything else. After an injury last year I had to take about 1,000 mg a day for a couple of weeks. Or try a laxative to see if once you are cleaned out you are better.

Reactions: Robinredbreast