Type 1 Diabetes My story so far

Mossy121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 20 year old, Type 1 diabetic, I was diagnosed at 18yrs old, but still to this day I'm being tested for different types of type 1 diabetes as all my tests keep coming back negative for a type 1 diabetic even though I present as a type 1. Consaultants confued and says he's even stumped as to why I present as a type 1 but test keep coming back negative for a type 1 diabetic even though they keep doing more tests, to be honest I can't wait till I've got a full diagnosis and be able to move on properly with life. I mean I am happy now with life but it's taken a massive step for me to get to where I am now, I'm going to be honest now I had my life mapped out I was 2 weeks from going uni I had packed and was on my way got 5/5 offers for policing and was so excited and one Saturday evening I felt so so ill so phoned the NHS line and described my symptoms etc and they said come to A&E to see doctor immediately, so I went done a urine test and the doctor sat me down and he said he thought nothing off it and went oh this test could change your life for ever to me and then went oh. I said what what as you do and then he told me what he thought it was and I was admitted and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes all in the hour. No family history or anything was a shocker. Which then got my down and depressed as was advised to take a gap year from uni and prepare myself for life as a diabetic and getting control of your body not it controlling you. So I took a gap year and found a job in a shop not what I wanted but paid the bills, got stuck and depressed in the shop after a year I decided to take control again and move on as it wasn't for me. Then out of the blue I got a call from my Nan asking me to go and do work in a school in London and I took the opportunity and I loved in 8 of the best weeks of my life so much fun and enjoyment, then I moved back home down south as I needed a income again. Went for a interview didn't get the job it got me down but I got back up fighting, went for another job In a nursery applied Thursday, phone call Friday to arrange interview, Monday morning had interview and got the job the same day. I love my job now and my colleagues and everyone involved in the job, as cringey as it sounds making a difference to children's life is the most rewarding job ever, that job gave me a break in life a fresh start and I wouldn't look back now, they have taken my diabetes on board with me understand and support me and look out for me as well. My family supported me all the way as well. The moral of my story is I'm trying to say if you do get diagnosed with diabetes and get depressed and feel really low, there is a other side trust me I've been depressed and it feels like your life gets flipped upside down and you can't do or are restricted in what you can do, don't let it get you down diabeties isn't in control you are. If anyone wants to know more about my story just comment or message me we are all in this together this is just my story of how, you can live a happy life with diabeties and a well life. :) xx

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Mossy121 Thank you for posting this ;) There is definately life after diagnosis, I found conquering one of my worst fears ever doing a sky dive, helped me to overcome some of my fears, very much a leap into the unknown ! I know when I was diagnosed I wanted to feel well again immediately, but it took a few months to find my feet and having a realistic expectation about the timeframe it takes to feel well again got me down, yes there adjustments to make but being prepared and accepting change helps to be better mentally equipped helps to find your feet, best wishes ;)

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Mossy121 and welcome to the forum. Well done for your positive attitude. You are right, diagnosis as a diabetic whether T1 or T2, isn't the end of the world. It is a shock and takes a bit of time coming to terms with it, but it can be managed.