Type 1 Diabetes & Travel Insurance

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been reading so posts re travel insurance which were very helpful. However, I never understand why Type 1 & Cholesterol issues appear together on the form. Recently this excluded me from Barclays Bank travel insurance for members. I had high cholesterol levels when I was first diagnosed in 2012 but we’re soon taken care of with medication. I have had no problems since that. I had ticked YES to the question “have you ever had high cholesterol”, but they list it as a problem. There are no questions to answer re “has this been resolved”. This happened with at least 3 quotes I did on line. Anyone else had this problem?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just being getting some travel insurance quotes and they also ask about cholesterol if, like me, you are a diet controlled Type 2. I assume that, rightly or wrongly, they think the combination of diabetes and raised cholesterol presents more of a risk even though historical.
Some of the questions are certainly confusing. My wife was advised to maintain a lower than normal blood pressure after a heart attack, so she answers "Do you take blood pressure reducing medication" - Yes, Have you ever had high blood pressure - No.
If you haven't already done so already, I suggest trying the comparison site https://www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/ although they will still ask you the cholesterol question.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just being getting some travel insurance quotes and they also ask about cholesterol if, like me, you are a diet controlled Type 2. I assume that, rightly or wrongly, they think the combination of diabetes and raised cholesterol presents more of a risk even though historical.
Some of the questions are certainly confusing. My wife was advised to maintain a lower than normal blood pressure after a heart attack, so she answers "Do you take blood pressure reducing medication" - Yes, Have you ever had high blood pressure - No.
If you haven't already done so already, I suggest trying the comparison site https://www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/ although they will still ask you the cholesterol question.

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mr_Pot. I am a Type 1. I take Statins and which has kept my cholesterol at a perfect level (so I have been told) so haven’t had high levels since approx 2012/2013. I just wish there was an option for the Diabetes section to tick “problem resolved”. However, that’s the way it is. I will check the link you mentioned. Thank you so much for your help and good luck with your insurance quotes. We intend skiing as well so with that activity, age and medical issues it’s been great fun (not) searching.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Travel insurance with regard to cholesterol is a complete nonsense and unfortunately all insurers ask the same daft question. I've found you can't avoid it. Blame complete ignorance within the insurance industry and their inability to accept that treatment with statins will resolve that issue.

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is what it is. I recently grabbed a yearly worldwide policy and the same thing. But the way I look at it is at least I was able to get insured.