Type 1 Diabetes

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
I have question regarding type one diabetes, as I was advised by my nurse/practitioner said that I you can't get type 1 I you are type one.. But one o my neighbours had a triple heat by pass operation 4 yeas ago, when was diagnosed with type 2, but I saw he the other day and she has been advised that she is type 1 as she has to do the test where has to prick her finger.

I don't understand how it happens like. Can some advise me what I can what o how to advise her.

Terry.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mistakes in diagnosis can and do happen. Especially if the person doesn't fit the general profiles, young and slim = type 1. Older and overweight = type 2. Fortunately there does seem to be increasing awareness amongst HCP not to make assumptions.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If she is now being treated as Type1 she should be taught how to use insulin and how to carb count by the doctors or hospital (or both), and it will be best if she takes their advice whilst at least learning what she needs to do everyday (ps. just using a blood test meter or needing insulin does not automatically make you type1, many type 2s do as well).

In other words all you can really do is offer your support

As eventhorizon says mis-diagnosis can happen because Type2 cannot turn into Type1 - as they are actually completely different things

Reactions: Marikev

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People with type 2 can be treated with insulin and test their blood glucose with a finger prick. This does not mean their diagnosis has changed or that type2 has "progressed" into Type 1.
It just mean someone with type 2 is unable to produce enough insulin.

• Agree
Reactions: Rokaab and Marikev

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
With T1, the immune system kills pancreatic cells and as a result we have no insulin at all, but with t2, the pancreas works even better than in people without diabetes, but cells can absorb only a small part of this insulin due to resistance. "You can't have another type of diabetes" only means that a dead pancreas can't work (if it doesn't work, it's t1, if it works, then t2), but people with t1 may have insulin resistance (to exogenous insulin, because we don't have our own), and people with t2 may need in insulin therapy, because the insulin produced by their pancreas may not be enough for life. But when you go to the doctor, he sees your bg (high enough in both cases) and after that he can tell you to take a c-peptide test, or he can decide that it is t2 if you are an adult and overweight, because t1 is usually diagnosed early enough and underweight. Also, with early diagnosis, the result of the c-peptide test may be normal, because the pancreas is still alive, this changes over time, but doctors may not consider it necessary to check

T1 is
funny-web-comics-the-pancreas-is-an-idiot.png

T2 is
7325b18a657446904581cb69ade86bca.jpg

Reactions: JAT1