Type 1 Diabetic and pregnant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 3 months ago at the age of 41 and hadn't really mastered my blood glucose. A week ago I discovered I'm pregnant (after two failed cycles of fertility treatment!). We already have a 6 year old daughter.
I've now been given very strict parameters for my BM and struggling. I just wondered if anyone else had been there and if they could offer any tips or advice please?!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @Sarah_Garside_
welcome to the forum :)

if you say "yes" -- I can move your new topic to a much more suitable place where you will get a lot of support

( the pregnancy subforum )

please let me know what you want to do .

all the best !!

Reactions: azure

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 3 months ago at the age of 41 and hadn't really mastered my blood glucose. A week ago I discovered I'm pregnant (after two failed cycles of fertility treatment!). We already have a 6 year old daughter.
I've now been given very strict parameters for my BM and struggling. I just wondered if anyone else had been there and if they could offer any tips or advice please?!
I'll tag the very friendly @azure who (I think at - last count) has three children who were all born after her T1 diagnosis.

Congratulations on the good news by the way:)

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My tips are to test lots. That way you'll spot highs and lows in good time. If you don't already have a half unit pen, get one as that helps with any correction doses you may have to do.

The very tight control needed is a very active process - hence the need to test lots and respond if necessary. As you're so recently diagnosed, you may not yet have the Type 1 'bible', Think Like A Pancreas. Do get it if you don't have it. It's fantastic for Type 1s and also has a interesting little graph showing how insulin needs change during pregnancy.

I presume you're already taking the special high dose folic acid?

Finally, keep calm and lookmafter yourself. A diabetic pregnancy is hard work but it's also very wonderful. X

If it's ok with you, I can move your thread to Pregnancy where it will get more replies.

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I am also recently diagnosed (2nd Feb this year) and I am pregnant too. As azure has already said make sure you are taking the 5mg doze of folic acid.

I've found having a Libre very helpful to watch over my levels 24/7 and then I've also used my normal tester too.

I have been needing to prebolus before everything I eat. Normally 30-45 minutes to stop a major spike above 8mmol after eating. This has really helped to keep my 1 hour and 2 hour readings well within target. It's quite challenging tho because you can't always plan eating that far in advance and nausea does not help either. Just try to stick with it.