Type 1 diabetic - Long Acting Insulin Usage

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are doing great.
I have been through lot of problem lately.

I generally maintain 7.0 H1B since last 4 years.

I take 2 unit tresiba at night and 5 unit in morning. For short acting i take humalog lispro as per the food i take.

Now since last 2 months i have been getting episode where i feel severly hypoglycemic when when i check the blood sugar its in 140 -150 mgdl range.

The episodes feel so severe that i feel i may pass out any time.

I visited the doctor, he was confused with the situation. He thinks it might be a neuro thing.

I have a doubt that it might be due to long acting insulin.
I am saying so because once i intake more long acting than recommended level and i was having similar feeling.

Can community members can please have a view on this.
Are anybody taking less than 4 unit of tresiba (long acting ) and it is working for you.

Thanks in advance.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now since last 2 months i have been getting episode where i feel severly hypoglycemic when when i check the blood
If you're in a normal range when you feel like that it seems unlikely it's related to your diabetes.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I take 2 unit tresiba at night and 5 unit in morning. For short acting i take humalog lispro as per the food i take.

I am puzzled as to why you split the tresiba/. Doesn't it last a couple of days?

As for the symptoms, as @Antje77 said, it's hard to believe that they are directly blood sugar related if your bg is 140-150 when you get them. Having said that, do you get those symptoms whenever your bg is at that level? (I once had a T1 work colleague who claimed to get symptoms once his bg went up to 8mmol/L , 144mg/dL)

How long have you been T1?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried Tresiba and I believe I was told that it lasts 42 hours. As a result, it doesn't matter at all if you are two or three hours late taking it, because the injection of Treiba taken around 24 hrs earlier is still very much active. It is quite different from the vast number of basal/backgound insulins which tend to last rather less than 24 hrs. I don't understand why you are taking Tresiba twice within 24 hrs.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has your doctor done other blood tests? Iron, B12 and D deficiencies can all lead to weird feelings