Type 1 diabetic with cold feet and numbness

kenziebrandon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any advice/answers.

I’m a 23y/o with type 1 diabetes diagnosed 4 years ago, my blood sugars for the past 3.5 years have been mostly way too high I’m talking over 15 the majority of the time. Recently I’ve been managing my diabetes well but have been dealing with having cold feet constantly (even with multiple pairs of socks on) and then getting numbness or a tingling sensation/dull ache going up my legs.

I’ve googled a lot about circulation problems etc but I’m looking for advice from people that have gone through the same thing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold hands and feet were a symptom of my failing thyroid.
I have been taking Thyroxine for a long time now, after a few days of replacement (tablets) it felt as though I had hands and feet in warm water, it was most memorable.
It might be something other than damage - though I do urge you to do whatever you need to keep your levels normal - my grandmother died from the complications of type two diabetes.

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be the socks and shoes and the length of time you are wearing the shoes. I wear toetector safety shoes at work and had tight at the ankle elasticated socks and I found that nine hour night shifts at work on my feet once a week left me with white big toes and very cold sore feet at home despite the workplace being heated. It is diabetic foot condition and the hard skin was treated and removed by gp at home and I opted for six hour shifts instead of 8 to 10 hours for most of the week.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be the socks and shoes and the length of time you are wearing the shoes. I wear toetector safety shoes at work and had tight at the ankle elasticated socks and I found that nine hour night shifts at work on my feet once a week left me with white big toes and very cold sore feet at home despite the workplace being heated. It is diabetic foot condition and the hard skin was treated and removed by gp at home and I opted for six hour shifts instead of 8 to 10 hours for most of the week.

Have you thought that replacing your socks with those with more gentle elastic? It strikes me that might be quite helpful too?

Reactions: walk39isl

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup - my new ones are not as tightly elasticated at the top. Different manufacturer. Thanks for the tip though!