Type 1 diagnosed...

jellysmith

Hi,

Well, after a week in hospital i have been diagnosed with Type 1. I have to take Lantus (10 units) once a day, and NovoRapid before every meal....

Any advice would be nice as this is all new and may take a bit of time to get used too.

I have to keep an eye on my Carb intake, would this be correct?

Thanks

Jelly (40 year old member of HM Forces living in Germany)

ClaireG 06

Hi Jelly and welcome to the forum :)

As carbs eventually turn to sugar, it is generally advised that you keep an eye on the type and amount you consume.

Here is some information for the newly diagnosed that i think you may find useful

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Please feel free to ask any questions you have :D

If you have a read of the type 1 section of the forum, i'm sure you'll find more useful advice and this is probably the best section to ask any questions you have to.

viewforum.php?f=19

There is lots of advice about diet in this section of the forum

viewforum.php?f=28

Kylie_Baker

Dislikes
impolite people, tv, cheap icecream...
Hi Jelly,

I'm newly diagnosed type 1 also :( and finding it all a bit much at times. I'm 30, female, Mummy to an 11month old busy boy. I'm also on Lantus at night and Novorapid before meals. My fasting BS before i started anything was 16 and by HbA1c was 13. Still working through getting the units right. But I have been all over the shgop since starting injecting. At times reaching 25, the lowest I've reached is 10.0.

Would be really happy to trade stories and maybe help each other wade through the minefield.

Best,

Kylie

Tracey69

HI Jelly and Kyle
Welcome to the forum.
I am a type 1 on the same insulin as you both are, but i also have to take metformin, but i have had diabetes since i was 6yrs old and am now 42yrs, have two children aged 20yrs (son), a daughter 18yrs and a stepson of 26yrs. It all takes time to get your sugars right as in the beginning you worry more i think, but worry can cause your sugars to rise, so try and relax. Eventually you will be able to adjust your insulin yourself. If your fasting blood sugars are above 10 you may need a little more Lantus, and only do this by 1 or 2 units a time, and before meals if your readings are high after meals you may need to up your novarapid, but please ask your doctor or diabetic nurse first.
As we are not doctors as you know, it's all done by our own experiences, please feel free to keep in contact, and ask as many questions as you want. Make sure you look at the carb counting on the forum this will help you with your control.
Keep your chins up and don't let it get you down.
Take care and good luck
Tracey