Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Evening all :)

I hope you're well.

I have an appointment with my DSN tomorrow morning...My BG levels are still above target even although I'm following a LCHF diet.

I'm 27, have been T1 for 10.5 years and also have Dawn phenomenon and seem to be insulin resistant up until mid afternoon.

I live in North Lanarkshire in Scotland and would like to be considered for a freestyle libre and maybe even an insulin pump. I'm terrified of the affects higher than normal BG levels could have on my body, I follow the same routine every day : wake at the same time, eat the same food at the same time, same activity level etc etc. Yet, no two days BG readings / units injected are anuwhere near the same :(

Any tips on how to raise this with my DSN?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kimrooney89 I'd show her your readings, pointing out the DP. Then stress how nothing you've done to combat this is helping.

I'd ask directly about a pump, not,wait for them to mention it.

Think what answers and suggestions you might get from the DSN, so you're prepared with answers/explanations.

If you're suffering with insulin resistance that doesn't go,away even when you eat moderate carbs (ie not LCHF) then you could also ask about a change of insulin or even Metformin.

I recommend making notes - appointments go all too quickly and it's easy to forget things!

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
@kimrooney89 I'd show her your readings, pointing out the DP. Then stress how nothing you've done to combat this is helping.

I'd ask directly about a pump, not,wait for them to mention it.

Think what answers and suggestiins you might get from the DSN, so you're prepared with answers/explanations.

If you're suffering with insulin resistance that doesn't go,away even when you eat moderate carbs (ie not LCHF) then you could also ask about a change of insulin or even Metformin.

I recommend making notes - appointments go all too quickly and it's easy to forget things!
That sounds like great advice @azure - thank you. It's getting quite difficult now as I feel as though nothing I do makes any difference.

Having the exact same routine/eating habits daily is very repetitive but I dont try anything different as I'm wary of how it would impact my BG levels.

I've also kept a food diary this week too which should hopefully help too. Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Reactions: himtoo and azure

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kimrooney89 I can't speak for Scotland, but certainly in England the Freestyle Libre is not available on the NHS. If your clinic has been visited by a rep lately, they might be able to give you a 'free trial' pack. If not, it is a big outlay, but you could just buy yourself one sensor, and use your phone as the reader, if you have an android. That would give you two weeks to get a really good look at what is going on. Hope that helps :)

Definitely be really direct - it is a short appointment, and they are not mind readers, nor do they live with this - you need to be clear with her about what those numbers are actually doing to your life on a day to day basis, and say that you are afraid of the consequences, which you have every right to be! It's your body, fight for it!

Good luck :)

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
@kimrooney89 I can't speak for Scotland, but certainly in England the Freestyle Libre is not available on the NHS. If your clinic has been visited by a rep lately, they might be able to give you a 'free trial' pack. If not, it is a big outlay, but you could just buy yourself one sensor, and use your phone as the reader, if you have an android. That would give you two weeks to get a really good look at what is going on. Hope that helps :)

Definitely be really direct - it is a short appointment, and they are not mind readers, nor do they live with this - you need to be clear with her about what those numbers are actually doing to your life on a day to day basis, and say that you are afraid of the consequences, which you have every right to be! It's your body, fight for it!

Good luck :)
Thank you EllsKBells :)

I had considered purchasing a libre but I'm not in the position financially to keep paying for the sensors...

I've written a list of bullet points so that I don't forget to mention something, I think I may have seen someone mention on the forum that they were given a libre on the NHS and they lived in Scotland.

Hopefully I'll be able to discuss everything in the short appointment :)