1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1, exercise and no breakfast

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Patch13, Jun 1, 2014.

1. lely

lely · Well-Known Member

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, I have been attending a gym for just under 12 months. Up to 3k treadmill and a small amount of weights to try keep toned. and just started the process to move to a pump from multiple injections. Looking forward to greater control, ( last hbA1c 10.8). I never train at the same time due to family/work commitments and find it hard to establish a pattern to my BG levels.
    Some of the comments have been insightful. I find I am better in the morning as my bg is lower, I do eat ( porridge ) and have a ratio of 2.0 but always find I have to drink Luco to get me though the whole workout. Might try reducing on days I'm going the gym. Evening workouts I tend to be a bit sluggish but need no Luco even though I will have eaten and had insulin. I do wait around 1.5 hrs after eating before I go the gym so the insulin isn't active anymore.

Should have been reading these threads long ago.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cycle to work everyday working day, 15 km's one way, without breakfast, I need 1 unit of humalog to keep things steady. I've recently been on vacation in the UK and was out running up hills every morning 10 - 12 km's in around 1 hour, again without breakfast. Didn't bother with insulin for the hill running though. I find exercise in the morning tends to have little effect on my blood sugar , occasionally raising it , however in the evening it can drop it dramatically.

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Crikey it just shows how different we are, I couldn't go without breakfast exercise or no exercise, to me it's the best meal of the day.

4. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I still eat breakfast after exercise. It seems to tastes so much better :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook