Type 1 for 50 years

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
It will be interesting to see what will be considered "modern" in 2054!

I hope it will be an artificial pancreas, which also functions as the pancreas of a healthy person

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Congratulations and hello

Im in my 49th year so recall clinitest tablets and the like.
I was 6 when diagnosed and the needles felt like harpoons!!
Do you remember the injectagun?
It was a weapon of mass destruction !!

I'm working and driving and only add this to give a bit of hope and optimism to newly diagnosed members....

Back in the day the idea of pumps and 4mm needles and indeed free needles along with CGMs would have been a pipe dream....

Live long and prosper

Tony
Yes, the Palmer Injector gun
1677869823301.png

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I hope it will be an artificial pancreas, which also functions as the pancreas of a healthy person
I reckon that is just around the corner!
wow! How cool! How did you do it?
For my 19 years of diabetes, I have only a mild form of polyneuropathy, mainly it is manifested by the fact that my feet can freeze even in the heat
Mine still do even though they appear to be in perfect health. They have always passed the sensitivity test. Bizarre!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I can remember the injectagun my mum and dad bought me one for my 17 th birthday , boy the bruises that used to give me !
Like Tony said to give optimism to newly diagnosed im'e in my 48 th year and not had one complication .
If I remember correctly they were 37s/6d in the late 60s and early 70s. The advertisements in the British Diabetic Association magazine Balance used to terrify me. I have always been needle phobic, but would sooner inject myself than become a real dart board!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
If I remember correctly they were 37s/6d in the late 60s and early 70s. The advertisements in the British Diabetic Association magazine Balance used to terrify me. I have always been needle phobic, but would sooner inject myself than become a real dart board!
Found this from one of my postings a few years ago: Thread was called Anyone remember these syringes? posted 10th March2018
1677878680767.png

I must have this magazine in the loft, so I would need a cherry picker to retrieve it!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
was it really more convenient than a regular injection? For some reason it seems to me that it is easier to make an injection with a regular syringe
I don't think it was convenience that was in Palmer's mind! These were aimed ( :hilarious: ) at diabetics who found the idea of injecting themselves too awful. As several people mention here, needles weren't the fine filaments we have now. If you haven't looked at the thread "Anyone remember these syringes?" it will give you a very good idea of what life was like in those days! Even using a regular syrimge had complications. I remember the syringe being boiled up in a saucepan (which had belonged to my Grandmother) of water before being used. The needles tended to be about 2.5cm unless you asked for shorter. As a child I dreaded the water boiling!!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just having a browse on here and I also remember all the above equipment! Gosh, what memories.
I was diagnosed age 10 in 1979.
I’m now closed looping with the Ypsomed My Life pump and CamAPS FX and have the Dexcom G6 CGM.
I’ve been a pump user for about 4/5 years and started looping in February this year.
It’s the closest I’ve been to being a non diabetic!
Lovely catching up and hearing your memories!

Reactions: Hopeful34