Type 1 going on holiday

Mitchbee123

Hi guys,
I am newly diagnosed as a type 1 and i am going on holiday and was just looking for a few tips like
Its all inclusive so i imagine its like a buffet how would i carb count?
I plan to have a few drinks and would like some cocktails can i carb count them or should i just stay away
Also will my insulin be okay in the hot weather in a bag on days out and things i have brought a cool bag to carry them in and made sure i have a fridge too store it

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, when you arrive at your destination, check the temperature of the fridge you are using so your insulin doesn’t freeze. Your insulin that is in use, should be kept in cooler bags out of the sun. As for the buffet, if you have carbs and cals app on your phone, it might help otherwise you’ll have to guess. For cocktails, it might be difficult to carb count for them but yes they contain more carbs than spirits and diet mixers.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am newly diagnosed as a type 1 and i am going on holiday and was just looking for a few tips

Have you been taught about correction doses? If you know how to correct readings that are too high it'll be easier to cope when you make a mistake on the carb counting (note I've been T1 for 49 years and I still get it wrong occasionally :)).

Just watch for hypos if you're drinking alcohol as your liver will be less able to pump out sugar if you go too low and therefore less able to protect you from dangerous lows. Make sure you do a blood test before going to bed.

I tend to find I burn through more emergency carb when I'm on holiday (different forms of activity means that I burn through my sugar reserves more quickly) - make sure you've always got plenty of glucose or whatever your preferred hypo stopping carbs are.

And most important, have fun on your holiday. :)

Reactions: DizzyChick