Type 1 having eye surgery tomorrow

Amandamess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So first time on here today! I have an eye operation in the morning because they can't stop the bleeding in my right eye! Not happy as have to face the floor for 7 days with a ten minute break every hour! Anybody else experienced this and did u get any complications after the operation??? At 32 I've been told this is not good

Amandamess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou I have bleeding and possible detached retina and I'm having an artificial lens put in as well! I just hope I don't have a slow or complicated recovery as I am self employed and unable to work and there's me and my little boy at home who depends on me! Thankyou for u help and kind words

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no experience of this but I just want to send you my best wishes. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you in every way.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Amandamess and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully by now you'll be in surgery and through the worst part.

It's around 13 years since I had the Vitrectomy surgery and so far I've had no issues since, the surgery has a very high success rate but they do have to explain to you the risks involved much like any type of surgical procedure.

I had to posture my head for around 10 days post-op and had to administer eye drops for several weeks, the posturing of the head was one of the worst parts but I just used that time as an excuse to catch-up with some DVD's so the time soon passed.

They'll likely tell you later today that there's a strong chance that you'll develop a cataract in the eye that has had the surgery, this is quite common post-vitrectomy and I was told this and sure enough started to develop a cataract around 6 months after the op, but don't worry about that as the cataract surgery only takes around 15 mins and you are wide-awake throughout.

Hope all has gone well today and do please let us know how it all went, good luck and best wishes.

Amandamess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just an update it went well no having to face the floor for a week as they didn't u gases or oil, and they didn't do my cataract as he felt it was too early! So all in all I'm very pleased I'm going bk today for check up with the surgeon! I can now see better out of the eye, still blurry in places but far better

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the update @Amandamess :) How nice when things aren't as awkward as you might be anticipating! Facing the floor for a week sounded really stressful.

I hope things continue to improve for you :)