Type 1 - HbA1c and planning for pregnancy

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I was diagnosed T1 8 weeks ago, at this time I was 9 weeks pregnant and had a hbA1c of 104. I miscarried 2 days after diagnosis.

4 weeks after diagnosis my hbA1c was 70
Today (8 weeks after diagnosis) it was 50.

I am due to ovulate over the weekend and I really want to know if it is safe to plan to get pregnant. My cycles are about 6 weeks long so if I miss this chance I have a long wait ahead until we can try again. Any advise or personal experience shared would be helpful.

Thanks. Xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got no idea I'm afraid... But I'll tag in @azure

She does this stuff!

Good luck by the way!

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Catherine4188 If you're looking for a honest answer, my advice would be to leave it a little longer. That would give both your hormones a chance to settle after your previous loss, and give you a chance to get more used to the Type 1, and for your body to,recover after the development of diabetes. Control during pregnancy is very different from normal and is a lot of work.

I completely understand why you want to get pregnant as soon as possible. I did too after my early miscarriage. But you've had a diabetes diagnosis and spending a little longer building your body back to health can only be beneficial, in my opinion.

I hope you don't mind me speaking openly. This is just my opinion and the final decision is, of course, yours. X

Reactions: MelissaC

pinenut

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You also want to ask your GP for 5mg folic acid. They recommend that you take it for a few months before trying.

Niecie

Bless you! I know hba1c needs to be below 58 yes also to high dose of folic acid. I would speak to your diabetes team and they'll help you all they can, regular monitoring of blood sugars etc. I have 2 children and just recently a m/c both children I was very good with control long story short recent m/c diabetes was hba1c was 66 +on the pill! Good luck wishing you all the best xx

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bless you! I know hba1c needs to be below 58 yes also to high dose of folic acid. I would speak to your diabetes team and they'll help you all they can, regular monitoring of blood sugars etc. I have 2 children and just recently a m/c both children I was very good with control long story short recent m/c diabetes was hba1c was 66 +on the pill! Good luck wishing you all the best xx

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's a very indescribable feeling that, thankfully, many can't relate to. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I visited my diabetic consultant a few weeks ago and he gave me a green light as far as hba1c was concerned. So if it happens I don't have to worry to much about that. I have just got a Libre so hopefully that will bring extra control. It's teaching me that where I thought my insulin dosing was spot on I had a my timing wrong. I was injection as I ate but that meant for most meals I have been spiking above 10 even for things like 2 crumpets. So I have been prebolusing for today and it seems to be working well as I haven't spiked above 7.5 for my food. Fingers crossed this will help to give me even better control. X