1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 - HbA1c and planning for pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Catherine4188, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Catherine4188

Catherine4188 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was diagnosed T1 8 weeks ago, at this time I was 9 weeks pregnant and had a hbA1c of 104. I miscarried 2 days after diagnosis.

4 weeks after diagnosis my hbA1c was 70
    Today (8 weeks after diagnosis) it was 50.

I am due to ovulate over the weekend and I really want to know if it is safe to plan to get pregnant. My cycles are about 6 weeks long so if I miss this chance I have a long wait ahead until we can try again. Any advise or personal experience shared would be helpful.

Thanks. Xx

2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I got no idea I'm afraid... But I'll tag in @azure

She does this stuff!

Good luck by the way!

• Like Like x 1
  3. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@Catherine4188 If you're looking for a honest answer, my advice would be to leave it a little longer. That would give both your hormones a chance to settle after your previous loss, and give you a chance to get more used to the Type 1, and for your body to,recover after the development of diabetes. Control during pregnancy is very different from normal and is a lot of work.

I completely understand why you want to get pregnant as soon as possible. I did too after my early miscarriage. But you've had a diabetes diagnosis and spending a little longer building your body back to health can only be beneficial, in my opinion.

I hope you don't mind me speaking openly. This is just my opinion and the final decision is, of course, yours. X

• Like Like x 1
  4. pinenut

pinenut Type 1 · Newbie

You also want to ask your GP for 5mg folic acid. They recommend that you take it for a few months before trying.

5. Catherine4188

Yeah I have been on it for about 4 weeks now. Thank you. X

6. Niecie

Niecie · Active Member

Bless you! I know hba1c needs to be below 58 yes also to high dose of folic acid. I would speak to your diabetes team and they'll help you all they can, regular monitoring of blood sugars etc. I have 2 children and just recently a m/c both children I was very good with control long story short recent m/c diabetes was hba1c was 66 +on the pill! Good luck wishing you all the best xx

7. Catherine4188

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's a very indescribable feeling that, thankfully, many can't relate to. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I visited my diabetic consultant a few weeks ago and he gave me a green light as far as hba1c was concerned. So if it happens I don't have to worry to much about that. I have just got a Libre so hopefully that will bring extra control. It's teaching me that where I thought my insulin dosing was spot on I had a my timing wrong. I was injection as I ate but that meant for most meals I have been spiking above 10 even for things like 2 crumpets. So I have been prebolusing for today and it seems to be working well as I haven't spiked above 7.5 for my food. Fingers crossed this will help to give me even better control. X

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook