Type 1: High readings

Hi everyone I'm still new to this, so not sure if I'm in the right place on here..... but I'll give it a go! My daughters T1 diagnosed 4 months now n all a been quite good with blood sugars til just b4 Xmas, they now still seem so high all of the time, we've switched to the Aviva Expert meter and ratios are changed slightly but the highest ever this morning was 14.5!? I don't know why? She said her throats a bit sore but they were always so good and around 6/7 but now always over 9/10 throughput the days, and up to 15?? Could anyone please give me some advice? Thankuu

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@SaraWalker7392 It could be her sore throat possibly. I'd give her DSN a ring for advice.

Blood sugar early on after diagnosis can be erratic because of the honeymoon period and insulin needs can change quite quickly.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @SaraWalker7392

could you perhaps add a bit more information regarding the time frame.

Reading your post above I am thinking your daughters bloods have risen quite a bit in the last 3 and a bit weeks ??

I have a couple of thoughts on this

1 -- did your daughters eating change at all over the Christmas period ( 22nd December to January 2nd )
I know that this time of the year can be more difficult to keep sugars down because there are just that many more opportunities to eat what is on offer including nibbles , buffet type food , and of course chocolate.

2 -- you mention a sore throat -- with any cold or infection our bloods do rise significantly because of the infection.
do have a chat with your daughter's DSN and have a look at sick day rules
link here http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/438.html

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SaraWalker7392,

Would definitely contact the DSN for some advice on this since you may need to consider looking at sick day rules. Have you got a tester for doing Ketones? If not then try to get one of these from your DSN too.
With levels sitting in the mid teens for a while you want to be keeping an eye out for ketones since that can be an indicator that your daughter is ill.

Of course all that being said it may well be that her basal insulin is not enough, though without seeing a whole bunch more data on how her bloods have been responding it is difficult to say for sure.

Just to be safe and get a sanity check start with DSN and go from there, though if you have the tester I would definitely be testing for ketones.

Hope she improves soon.

/A

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @SaraWalker7392

Is your daughter treated by insulin pump or through injections? And how old is she?

Through teenage years, particularly puberty, I know from personal experience it can be very hard to control BG readings.

I wouldn't worry as such. Worrying can increase BG readings which won't really help her, or yourself.

I agree with @AndyS, check for ketones because they could be the cause.

What have you tried to reduce her BGs too? More information would be useful to suggest different ways to treat this.

I have been diabetic for 10 years and I'm now 17.

Always here to talk to if you need more advice.