Type 1 Hospital Overdose~alot to take in!

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
Hi everyone. My story is this. I was 19 weeks pregnant when tested for GD. Came back on the Thursday I was. Friday I saw nurse for tablets etc.Saturday I was admitted to Hospital for treatment as had +2 keytones.Started sliding scale.On sunday I was stable so a Senior Nurse (plus another) came to administer my 1st insulin shot whilst I waited to learn how to use a pen the following day.Instead of 10units being administered in a vial I received 100.Within 10 mins I was in HDU.My baby and I came out of it all unscathed and my little boy is 5 weeks old.My problem is in pregnancy I was diagnosed as Type 1 and handled it all well.My readings never went above 6.5 and I felt confident.But since having him I feel like its all new to me.I now test before meals not after.I dont feel I know what I am really doing all of a sudden.That this is really my life now injecting 4x a day etc.I dont see Diabetic team until April.My BS readings averaging 5.5 to 6.4 is this good? Its all so different as had so much help when pregnant and now nothing until April!x

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I was in a similar situation, I was originally diagnosed with gd but was tested for type 1 as I didn't have the gd risk factors. The biggest thing for me was knowing the injections were for life, but my little ones are 2years and my youngest 9months so I've gotten used to it now. Your blood sugars are excellent! Keep it up if you can. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me or ask here. Are you on fast acting and long acting insulin?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sheppie84

I am the same, diagnosed GD and then Type 1 after pregnancy. Not yet on Insulin but I think it will happen soon.
My next meeting is April too so I'm trying to eat well, exercise regularly and be aware of my levels.
I'm usually is the 7's in a morning so 5's and 6's is fab!

Well done!!

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your reply. I take novarapid at meal times (currently 5units or I have hypos) and insulatard at night (15 units). Will keep doing what I am doing. As I want to lose baby weight would you recommend low gi diet?

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sheppie84 said:
I am the same, diagnosed GD and then Type 1 after pregnancy. Not yet on Insulin but I think it will happen soon.
My next meeting is April too so I'm trying to eat well, exercise regularly and be aware of my levels.
I'm usually is the 7's in a morning so 5's and 6's is fab!

Well done!!

Thank you!!! Feel more confident now spoken out about fears etc

Sheppie84

I try and eat healthily - I aim for less than 130g carbs a day and keep calorie intake at about 1300-1400 and that works for me.
Maybe try low GI and just see if it works for you, give it a couple if weeks and if you aren't seeing the changes you want; try something else.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Will definately try reducing cal intake and see how I go. Thanks again for advice :D

AMBrennan

Instead of 10units being administered in a vial I received 100
That sounds like a violation of procedure - either the hospital using the wrong kind of syringe, or not writing down the doses correctly - 10u has to be written as "10 units" for precisely this reason.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
AMBrennan said:
That sounds like a violation of procedure - either the hospital using the wrong kind of syringe, or not writing down the doses correctly - 10u has to be written as "10 units" for precisely this reason.

Neither I am afraid. A full investigation was carried out and it didnt make for good reading. The Senior Nurse was called down from maternity triage to administer insulin. It was a Sunday and I am told in report very busy but she agreed to do it. It turns out she agreed to do it even though,wait for it,she didnt actually know how to administer or even draw insulin! I was literally a guinea pig. I have been shown papers consultant left and he clearly wrote 10units. Unfortunately the senior nurses didnt know what that was. On returning from giving it me to the nurses station it was questioned what had been given and mistake was realised. Within 10 minutes I was in hdu being forcefed sandwiches, chocolate and lucozade. All the time being violently sick. I thought I was going to die. Or my baby.

The senio nurses both took a weeks hol,and on their return were suspended from giving drugs until they had spent ONE DAY with the diabetic team. They now administer drugs again.

In my report they blame the mistake on them not knowing how to administer insulin,it being a sunday,the ward being busy,and them focusing too much on teaching me how to inject (which they didnt as obviously they didnt know how too!!)

I spent rest of pregnancy petrified I was going to end up in hospital again trusting people who knew nothing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
ShelleyHarris1981 said:
AMBrennan said:

Neither I am afraid. A full investigation was carried out and it didnt make for good reading. The Senior Nurse was called down from maternity triage to administer insulin. It was a Sunday and I am told in report very busy but she agreed to do it. It turns out she agreed to do it even though,wait for it,she didnt actually know how to administer or even draw insulin! I was literally a guinea pig. I have been shown papers consultant left and he clearly wrote 10units. Unfortunately the senior nurses didnt know what that was. On returning from giving it me to the nurses station it was questioned what had been given and mistake was realised. Within 10 minutes I was in hdu being forcefed sandwiches, chocolate and lucozade. All the time being violently sick. I thought I was going to die. Or my baby.

The senio nurses both took a weeks hol,and on their return were suspended from giving drugs until they had spent ONE DAY with the diabetic team. They now administer drugs again.

In my report they blame the mistake on them not knowing how to administer insulin,it being a sunday,the ward being busy,and them focusing too much on teaching me how to inject (which they didnt as obviously they didnt know how too!!)

I spent rest of pregnancy petrified I was going to end up in hospital again trusting people who knew nothing.

Hi what a horrible time you went through,I can't believe the hospital was so incompetant. It doesn't matter that it was a Sunday or busy, you and your babies life were put at serious risk :x

I am pleased for you that you pulled through, it must of been so worrying and scary. Now,hopefully, you can put this nightmare behind you and move forward.

Lets hope the hospital has learnt it's lesson :roll: and nothing like this will happen again.

Take care and best wishes RRB

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Can I suggest to get Dr Bernsteins book 'Diabetes Solution' he also has a good website.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dawnmc said:
Can I suggest to get Dr Bernsteins book 'Diabetes Solution' he also has a good website.

Thank you. Will do x