1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1: How many times do you have to test your blood sugar

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Julia McCoulough, Oct 4, 2016.

1. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Testing as important as it is, is pointless if you fail to analyse and respond to the results you obtain.
    Personally between 4 and 7 test's per day, I always try to preempt the results and if I'm close enough I'm happy and feel no need to change anything.
    If a test throws up a out of range result, I question why. If results continue out of range for more than a day I then look to adjust things, ultimately this is the only time I would test more often, up until time I can preempt results again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Julia McCoulough

Julia McCoulough Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's so helpful to me but I was told to test twice a day but in the beginning it was 4 times a day

3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's your diabetes you need to take responsibility for it. Do what you feel helps you feel in control.
    25yrs I've had lots of advice from so called experts that has created more problems than it has solved.
    If diabetes was as easy as people seem to think then it wouldn't be a problem.
    Test when you feel the need, but be sure to use the results constructively, don't just test for no reason.
    Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shivles

shivles · Well-Known Member

She's 17 months.

As a minimum always should check when waking/before breakfast, 2hrs after, before and 2hrs after lunch, before and 2hrs after dinner, before bed and at midnight. I test between these too though so I know what's going on with her levels

5. Julia McCoulough

Thank you

6. Julia McCoulough

Oh bless her I'm so sorry that she has it so young

7. JoeCo

JoeCo Type 1 · Member

Recently diagnosed in August. Currently taking around 7-10 tests per day, although my diabetes team has suggested 3-4 is enough, and when I changed my prescription to Accu-Chek Mobile cassettes, my GP asked how long do I think they'll last, I said at my current rate 100 should last just over two weeks, and she went quiet but did it anyways. So I can see there must be some pressure within the NHS to keep strip costs down. I can definitely see myself needing some 'breaks' every now and then where I will test 4 times max, but otherwise it will be pretty consistent at 7-10.

8. Julia McCoulough

Doesn't it hurt your fingers

9. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You get used to it, and most of us on here would prefer to be well managed with colander fingers than the alternative that testing twice daily presents.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

If there's concern over how many bg teststrips are being used every week, then diabetics might as well as go back to using twice daily insulin again, eat a bit more wisely and use cgm to guide them through the day.
    I bg test about 6 to 10 times per day, partly because I need to but also to present cgm data alongside bg tests so that doctors can see how good or bad cgm technology really is. At the moment it's jury out

11. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

.....and back to using the Clinitest Kit (no thanks) :)

12. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Definately not......bg testing became widely available in the 80's. I was a happy Freestyle user for years using twice daily and didn't change to bolus basal until 2002.

• Like Like x 1
  13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The Reflolux S was my first meter, you could either test your bg on the meter or cut the strips up and compare the result to the colour-coded chart on the side of the bg strip container, with careful scissoring you could cut the strip into 3 so a tub of 50 strips would sometimes go a long way.

Just forget what year it was when I switched to basal/bolus.

14. richyb

richyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

like others have said usually 9 sometimes 10. On MDI for 50yrs

15. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, yes. But I would quite like to continue being able to feel my fingers. Hence the testing.

16. shivles

shivles · Well-Known Member

We also have the mobile cassettes and the pharmacist nearly passed out when I told her I need 3 a week

17. adcurtis100

adcurtis100 Type 1 · Member

Wow ive just joined up today and read this i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 27 yeah late i know but still ive had loads of problems with my eyes and other but last year i finally got my levels under control after 11 years and as for testing theres allot of myths my overall level last yeat was 6.2 and aster reading hear i feel ashamed that ive got to the point where i only check my level when im not feeling well or when my level is high or low im lucky my body warns me

18. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hey welcome to the forum :)

Absolutely no need to feel ashamed, it's not a rule that fits everyone, we all have our own criteria, some including myself feel safer testing as much as we do so we can understand fully what's going on and how much insulin we need to adjust by. I only feel off if I am too high/low and so prefer to reign it in before it get's too high/low, so will test as much as I need to so I have confidence I am doing something right before it goes wrong.

No one is here to judge, simply just explain why they do what they do and how other's might benefit from learning more about their methods ;)

19. adcurtis100

adcurtis100 Type 1 · Member

Very true i suppose ive learnt to adjust my novorapid insulin to what i have to eat or drink but it did take me a while to get it right even nurse vampire only sees me once a year now and thanks for the welcome

20. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Have you asked about going on a Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating course (DAFNE) ?

Doesn't matter how long you have had type 1 it's a great course for building on what you already know about type 1.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook