Type 1: injecting insulin into breast tissue?

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible to inject insulin into your breast instead of using other parts of your body.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've seen pictures of some women who've put pump sites there, but I don't know if it's advisable.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of other places to inject - tummy, thighs, top of bum, arms...

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen pictures of omnipods worn on boobs. I don't think I would try it tho - I don't understand how they put a bra on! I can't imagine a time when I would decide it would be more comfortable or convenient to inject my boob.

Maybe if you have run out of sites that would be a reason to try it. But I imagine absorption might be a bit hit & miss & heavily impacted by hormones.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I imagine absorption might be a bit hit & miss & heavily impacted by hormones.

Yes that would be a problem I would think. And I'm not sure on the 'structure' of the breast but would there be a chance of injecting into a milk duct or something rather than just the normal fatty tissue?

I can't imagine ever wanting to do it anyway!

Reactions: EJTC

Isabel2149

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all! regarding breast tissue and using this area as a source for injecting insulin or placing a cannula site or omnipod i am all for it honestly. There are some endocrinologists that i have experienced saying that there is a fear that because insulin is a growth hormone, injecting insulin into the breast may not be smart because it could increase the chance of cancers in this area but there has been no evidence showing this.

I think there is a slight misconception when we talk about injecting insulin "into the breast tissue". nobody is injecting insulin into the bolbous part of the breast, we are doing it in the area of skin above the breast, so essentially upper chest area usually. i would not recommend putting a site directly on to the breast for risk of the above but around the breast area i think is completely fine. It is certainly not my first recommended spot but when people are having challenges with poor infusion in other areas or with areas of lipohypertrophy it is a fantastic area to be able to add to the rotation. we have type 1 diabetes for forever so rotation widely of sites is really important.

Some of the risks that i have found stated online include:
  1. Infection: As mentioned earlier, the breast tissue is more prone to infection, and injecting insulin in the breast can increase the risk of localized or systemic infections.
  2. Poor Blood Sugar Control: Due to the lack of effective absorption, injecting insulin in the breast may result in poor blood sugar control, leading to hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia.
  3. Breast Tissue Damage: Injecting insulin in the breast can cause damage to the delicate breast tissue, leading to pain, inflammation, and potential complications.
Personally, i have found above the breast to be a fantastic spot for infusion of insulin, since having babies, i cant use my lower abdomen at all unless i want to deliver three times the amount of insulin.. i use my arms for cannula sites, lower thighs, upper abdomen and above the breast (on the left side only cause i dont get good absorption in the right ) :p. Everyone is different. I have never had an infection with a cannula site in this area and my blood glucose management is very good... no problems with pain or inflammation in the area either. i guess time will tell in the long run if there is going to be complications.. but for now, we are good...

Have a fantastic day all!

(small mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator: