Type 1: Is It Ok To Eat Chinese

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try the fitness pal app but only use it as a guide as not all chinese restuarants/takeaways use same amount of fat and sugar. As @Nidge247 said take your injection before the meal as this has helped me in the past too just make sure you eat enough carbs to cover it. Home cooked food is always healthier but were human too so enjoy it and don't worry.

palas

Is it ok to have Chinese food please and also Indian because I was told I could

I'm type 2 but on insulin. I have a bizarre reaction to Chinese food in that I count carbs, BUT if I give myself an appropriate amount of insulin for the amount of carbs i'm ingesting, then I always go Hypo. This has happened to me a number of times, so now when I eat a Chinese, I actually give myself half the amount of insulin I normally would, and then I'm okay.

hendrika

Husband a type 1 for 20 years - never stopped eating Chinese or Indian. Daughter type 1 for 1 year - never stopped eating them either.

In fact - planning a massive Chinese dinner party for tomorrow night which is why I clicked on this thread!!

Reactions: mahola and slip

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Husband a type 1 for 20 years - never stopped eating Chinese or Indian. Daughter type 1 for 1 year - never stopped eating them either.

In fact - planning a massive Chinese dinner party for tomorrow night which is why I clicked on this thread!!

Planning on a number 4, 7 or possibly a 10.8????!! lol

onchy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Indeed it is ok. Having been type 1 for more years that I care to remember, I had never had Mars Bars cheesecake or any "normal" food. I did the DAFNE course earlier this year and it was a revelation. I can eat ANYTHING. The trick is to look and see the total carb content and divide by 10 for example 38 carbs becomes 3.8 carb portions rounded up to 4 which equals 4 quick acting insulin units. In essence you are replicating the natural function of the pancreas. I do add caution though and state dont do this without doing the course first!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The trick is to look and see the total carb content and divide by 10 for example 38 carbs becomes 3.8 carb portions rounded up to 4 which equals 4 quick acting insulin units. In essence you are replicating the natural function of the pancreas. I do add caution though and state dont do this without doing the course first!

That would assume that everyone works to a I:C ratio of 1u to 10g or 1u to 1CP, not everyone works to the same ratio @onchy and I:C ratio's can change between breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Indeed it is ok. Having been type 1 for more years that I care to remember, I had never had Mars Bars cheesecake or any "normal" food. I did the DAFNE course earlier this year and it was a revelation. I can eat ANYTHING. The trick is to look and see the total carb content and divide by 10 for example 38 carbs becomes 3.8 carb portions rounded up to 4 which equals 4 quick acting insulin units. In essence you are replicating the natural function of the pancreas. I do add caution though and state dont do this without doing the course first!
Thank you

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
A local Chinese restaurant offers the option to ask for Chinese vegetables instead of the usual rice or noodles, so I choose that option and usually one of the dishes marked spicy. A local Japanese restaurant, though, doesn't offer much other than fried rice with various additions. I'm not sure if there are any local Indian restaurants, and I haven't tried the local Thai restaurant.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the fat in takeaways often means if you inject the right amount of bolus you will run low then high, as the fat slows down how the body processes the food! I always split my dose if I'm eating out to try and correct for this, and not run low on the way home!

Reactions: Struma

MrNiceGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything not spicy
I am on a Pen (Novorapid) Eat what you like, but take careful log notes and measure 2 and 3 hours after you have taken your insulin. Take note of your numbers. If you're where you want to be, write down what you ate and your dosage. I use my mobil phone under Contacts, then put my info in the Note section. I usually say my # (BG on the meter) + 10 for Pad Thai Noodles. Then I eat the same thing, at the same restaurant some weeks later. Measure the same, take the same insulin, double check, take notes and now you have cracked the nut for that particular chinese dish, or thai, or indian... I did not eat Thai for 3 years after I was diagnosed because of the unknown sugar content. I just guessed my way through it. Took a lot of insulin and measured... I do the same for all sorts of foods. Now I have my personal food list with insulin dosage for a particular meal. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I am on a Pen (Novorapid) Eat what you like, but take careful log notes and measure 2 and 3 hours after you have taken your insulin. Take note of your numbers. If you're where you want to be, write down what you ate and your dosage. I use my mobil phone under Contacts, then put my info in the Note section. I usually say my # (BG on the meter) + 10 for Pad Thai Noodles. Then I eat the same thing, at the same restaurant some weeks later. Measure the same, take the same insulin, double check, take notes and now you have cracked the nut for that particular chinese dish, or thai, or indian... I did not eat Thai for 3 years after I was diagnosed because of the unknown sugar content. I just guessed my way through it. Took a lot of insulin and measured... I do the same for all sorts of foods. Now I have my personal food list with insulin dosage for a particular meal. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!
Thank you for your help

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i eat sushi, wait let me rephrase that, when i eat a boat load of sushi i tend to take my insulin with a higher basal (like 3-5 higher than usual) and checking every two hours and adjusting when needed. I usually make small adjustments 2 hours later and go to bed with normal BS but the morning after is usually a bit higher though nothing too bad. But i'm talking a 110 sushi meal for two people with maguro butsu as a starter. Usually the chefs stick their head out of the kitchen to see who the fat asses are that order a recommended for 4-6 people meal for 2 people. Or they ask 2-3 times to make sure we are not mathematically impaired or something.

First time was difficult though as i had no idea how it would effect my BS. But now i don't even worry about it anymore and gladly suffer through the slightly higher values (mostly 150-200 mg/dl).

fern000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chinese type 1 here.. Yes you can! What else would I eat then? :( Everything in moderation is good; after some trial and error you'll know what quantity's best for you! I do stay away from dimsum though, those are really carb-heavy! You could also give a higher dose for sweeter/carb-heavy stuff. I eat brown rice everyday instead of white rice. Makes my sugars much easier to manage!

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love chicken fried rice from the chinese takeaway. I very often like to have maybe half of the contents of the large foil tray and eat that then have the next half or because I'm guilty of the carb amount have the next bit of the second half of the foil tray.

I weigh the first half out and enter that weight into carbs and cals to get my carb amount then when I've finished eating that I get the next half/bit and weigh that and enter that weight into carbs and cals etc then after I've finished eating I add the 2 carb amounts up and inject. I've always been too frightened to maybe have one lot of insulin then have the next lot incase of insulin stacking.

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's what I've noticed eating any kind of junk food. Its helps if you're on the go, i.e. walking around town after a mcdonalds

If you're at home lazing on the couch with a Chinese you can expect a night of uncertainly and struggle

Just my experience

StamfordB19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I enjoy a weekly takeaway of some sort (usually chinese) and don't hold back ;)...

I usually have 30/40% of my bolus just before I eat (depending on pre meal levels) and the rest around 90 minutes after which helps out with the delayed spikes. The great news is, the more frequent you have these types of meals, the more chances you have with trial and error and find what works best for you :)

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Btw, I'm not sure anyone's noticed but Julia asked this question five years ago, so I'm not sure if the answer will be any use to her now.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
To be honest as a type 1 I eat anything and almost everything. , as long. As I can control my blood sugars within limits nothing it really off the list, how control is affected but certain th8ngs well that’s a different question , experience , trial and error has taught me how certain food affect me and I can now ( after much trial and error ) understand how when and why I have to adjust my insulin for different foods, I like Chinese but don’t eat them every week , diet is all about balance for me , I try to have a healthy diet but I do like a “ blow out “ now and again , and being type 1 the only th8mgs I don’t eat are things I don’t like ( and that list is very small lol)