Type 1 & Ketones

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After feeling very unwell for a number of weeks came off pump therapy used transition dose advised by hospital and ended up with climbing Ketones of 2.4 . Spent a week in hospital with blood sugars reducing and ketones rising. I was treated with endless bags of saline to flush out ketones. I've been out of hospital just under two weeks I'm monitoring ketones which are back to within normal range. However still feeling pretty unwell during day seem to have pockets of wellness. Blood sugars are better than have been. Just wondered how long body takes to adjust from trauma of ketones? Has anyone else had similar experience?

I have asked if there is anyway I could use injection of long acting insulin with a pump for short acting ? Told this was not an option. My question is why not? Ruffled a few feathers!! There must be another option out there that suits me. Look forward to forum experiences.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
The sickness was caused by the pump therapy? Confused as to why you came off the pump... Sorry you've been so ill, that sounds really unpleasant.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Tracie,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I don't know how long it takes to recover, from direct experience but I found an old thread of people talking about this, and it takes a little while to feel better.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dka-recovery.123713/

I rather like your idea of a sort of mini pump that only delivers fast acting, and the basal is injected. That would be a very useful hybrid, it's only a small percentage of people on pumps who end up with DKA, but a small number isn't good and it would be good for preventing that, and make life easier for people on MDI, as well.

One day, maybe the technology will catch up with you.

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your replies and link.

Pump therapy works for a lot of people. Think my basal doses were too small even though under care of hospital. It's a long story just glad to be out of hospital left having to deal with these symptoms and trying to find the answers to.

Yes let's hope technology finds a way forward with a pump for fast acting insulin and basal is injected.